help me make a decision...keep my desktop or buy a new notebook?

n2k21

Beta member
I bought a new desktop in january 2007 (so it's still fairly new). HP Pavilion m7580n: 2GB of memory, 320GB hard drive, 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor.

I had limewire up and running on this computer ever since I got it, and I'm guessing that limewire is the source of trouble because just recently, my computer's internet stopped working completely. (we have 2 computers hooked to a router, my internet doesn't work, the other does.)

Should I keep this desktop and spend more money on it to fix it and use it in college (I'm going to be a freshman this fall) or should I buy a new notebook?

Thanks in advance!

well the computer can probably be fixed by speniding absolutely nothing on it.

where as the laptop will cost you a few hundred $$$ so there not really comparable,

Your computer is fairly new, why replace it already? Don't be lazy bro, put a little time into it and get it back up. First, uninstall that limewire, seriously, unless you like viruses. Next get some programs like AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware (all free), and scan your entire system. My bet is that you have some malware that is jacking up your system.

If you have restore cds that came with your computer, then another option is to just restore everything to when you first bought it. You will lose all data on your drive, so if you don't wanna do that, at least try what I said above and see how it goes for you.

Your computer is fairly new, why replace it already? Don't be lazy bro, put a little time into it and get it back up. First, uninstall that limewire, seriously, unless you like viruses. Next get some programs like AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware (all free), and scan your entire system. My bet is that you have some malware that is jacking up your system.

If you have restore cds that came with your computer, then another option is to just restore everything to when you first bought it. You will lose all data on your drive, so if you don't wanna do that, at least try what I said above and see how it goes for you.

^^^ Great advice.

I would just skip all the anti-spyware/AV stuff. Just back up your data and reformat. Then create a separate partition to upload your backed up data. This way, if you want to keep limewire you can. What you'll have to do is download the programs listed above and use them on a weekly basis. This should keep your computer clean while simoultaneously allowing it to use limewire. Then if you do get in deep ****, you can reformat and not worry about backing up data, as you will have your partition with all the saved files you need right there.

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and try restoring my computer right now. One question though: if I uninstall limewire, will all the songs I got from limewire be completely deleted?

Back
Top Bottom