Computer Freezing + Monitor Blacking Out

Relmiw

Baseband Member
hi guys. i hope you can help me with a problem i have been having.
i really want to play world of warcraft with my girlfriend who moved away for college, so i bought myself a new computer and gave her my old one, which i've had since 2004 and has ran warcraft fine since 2006/7.

before i gave it to her i reformatted windows xp and set everything up for her. warcraft was working fine, schedualed virus and spyware checks were working fine. The computer had a month or two of downtime when i gave it to her because she hadn't yet set up the internet. this last week she set it up and it has been having problems like never before.

occasionally it would freeze during warcraft. i am not 100% sure if it did this all the time, but at least most of the time it freezes the monitor goes black and says "no signal". it's possible the actual computer is not frozen but just the monitor is not reacting.

this would happen more and more frequently after a couple days and got to the point where it does it even when warcraft is not running and/or still be on "no signal" after it is manually restarted, with no way to turn it on until a few minutes or hours later.

i went to her house yesterday with the intention of trying these things

-try running computer with fan on it
-uninstall old one and try try updating ATI Radeon driver
-deleting WTF folder in warcraft
-update Direct X9
-clean dust off PC
-try with fan and side of computer removed
-try shutting down virus and spyware programs while playing
-update Bios (btw what are bios?)
-delete what may be outdated mods
-lower video settings
-run checkdisk
-try running with as little accessories as possible to see if the power supply is the problem.

however i was only able to set a fan up on the back of the computer, air blasting the dust off from inside the computer, check on direct x and HALF uninstall the driver for ATI Radeon 9550. i say half because i had uninstalled it form "add/remove programs" and was about to manually delete the remaining drifting files from it when it went "no signal" and remained that way until at least when i left this morning.

what can i do here? i couldn't even get it to start up by the end of it. i tried unplugging accessories becasue someone told me it may be the power supply, but that did not help. the only remaining idea i have is to try taking out the video card and loading the computer up that way. other than that i am at my wits end here and actually considering bringing it in to a computer repair store.

a couple clues on what it may be..

in the last 3 months that i have used the computer it made a weird noise while starting, as if a piece of hardware was struggling to get moving. i did make sure the fans were running on it when it started up so they work at at least partial capacity.

another clue is that she noticed the lights on the keyboard light up when you first turn the computer on if it is going to start normally, they do not light up if it goes straight to "no signal".

It sounds like it may be a PSU issue since you say you have to wait a some time before you can turn it back on. You should try using a known good power supply in it just to rule that possibility out.

if you can post the specs of your system so we can get a better idea of the capability's please. it sounds to me like the fan is going on on something, possibly the PSU fan going out, overheating, not giving all the power to the video card because it overheaded, then once cool's down, will run again, if thats the case then you need a new one. try to test it with another power supply.

if you can post the specs of your system so we can get a better idea of the capability's please. it sounds to me like the fan is going on on something, possibly the PSU fan going out, overheating, not giving all the power to the video card because it overheaded, then once cool's down, will run again, if thats the case then you need a new one. try to test it with another power supply.
i can do that when i get near the computer again, which might be in a few days. as of yet though she hasn't been able to turn it on without the "no signal" going, as far as i know.

is there a specific way to post the specs that the computer will read them out, or do you just mean as far as i can remember?

as far as you can remember

the computer is a dell dimension 4500 i believe.
it was given to me in 2004

since then it has had the cd player replaced into a dvd burner
it has had one stick of 256 MB RAM replaced with two sticks of 512
i bought an ATI Radeon 9550 128 MB video card for it 2 years ago
i have been using a 19 inch flat panel monitor with it
it has ran windows xp since i got it and has been reformatted twice, with one of the times being three months ago.

i don't know anything about its power supply, including where in the computer it is
i don't know anything about the motherboard

Back
Top Bottom