RAM question

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so i want to upgrade to 4gb of ram.
as of now, i got this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145177
and they are a bit much for me right now, and i was wondering if this is the same thing (same feature, spec, etc)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
both XMS2, Same CAS4, 800MHZ.
the only difference i see is the heatsink.
is there some kind of hidden feature in one of them and not the other. For example my DHX and the Dominator series, the difference between the 2 was that the Dominator contains EEP, while the DHX one doesnt.
I want to be able to tun the 4gb in Dual Channel, but i am pretty sure that i can since its CAS4, and 800MHZ.
Long story short, whats the difference between them except the heatsink, can the heatsink make the ram cost $17 more?

They're pretty much the same memory. The only real difference is in the cooling used. The DHX memory is manufactured differently utilizing a different cooling method as used with conventional heatsinks. Here's a page describing it: DHX Technology Overview.

They should all work fine together as they have the same operating specs.

hmm, i see, well, i just need a way to find $20, then i will get them on newegg.
then when i have money, i might get that little RAM fan that cools them, unless theres a cheaper RAM cooler.

As long as you have decent airflow through the case and are not overclocking the memory, you really wont need the cooling fan.

i cant really get the speed higher than 800mhz, so i dont think i can overclock, but they made my timings to 5-5-5-18-22, while it shouldve been 4-4-4-13-15, would it count as OC if i change the timings? and why does it run as CAS5, if i bought a CAS4?

Teny, if you want to upgrade your RAM but 4GBs isn't the only thing you'll consider, you can take a chance and get some Crucial Ballistix (2x512MB) and run 3GBs for only $7 after MIR...

Ballistix

you probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference, except in your wallet...

:p :p :p

so what you are pretty much saying is that i shouldnt consider buying 2 1gb ram, instead buy 2 512mb ram?
thats a pretty cheap price for them too, but its MIR, i'll think about it.
how much of a difference is there between a 3gb dual channel and a 4gb dual channel?

so what you are pretty much saying is that i shouldnt consider buying 2 1gb ram, instead buy 2 512mb ram?
thats a pretty cheap price for them too, but its MIR, i'll think about it.
how much of a difference is there between a 3gb dual channel and a 4gb dual channel?

not much, especially if you're running a 32bit OS, it would only be about a 256MB difference...

Back
Top Bottom