Vista Home Premium: No Longer Powers Down Computer

matius

Baseband Member
When I Shut Down my computer. Everything acts normally, but when the screen fades to black, my computer stays on. No error messages; Vista seems to shut down normally but hangs right before where the computer should turn off.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 530.

I *believe* the situation began with either installing Netflix desktop movie app (which the morning after my computer had problems booting up) or after a botched install of HP printer software/drivers... I have recently uninstalled these HP programs.

Hopefully one of those two are the issue so I at least have a starting point. I saw no uninstall for Netflix movie app.

I guess my questions are... any ideas on how to fix this? And would there be a problem if I deleted the Hewlett-Packard folder from the Registry? People say don't touch the registry but maybe what's in there is screwing things up? Can I delete the Netflix registry folder too? Any possibility of screwing up my system by doing so...

Thanks for your input!!

You could try to do a system restore. That may bring back settings that were not unchanged after these programs you installed. Just be sure to choose a restore point that is before the netflix app install.

Note: I believe the reason you did not see netflix on your uninstall list is because if I remember correctly, the netflix movie watcher is a group of active x controls or add-ons to internet explorer (or firefox if your using it). Regardless of that note, i would recommend a system restore.

Thanks for your post... only thing is I really want to try something else before I resort to a restore. I've installed quite a few apps after that point & it would be a lot of work to get it back...

...especially when I really think it's one of these two programs.

So, deleting these two folders from the registry is dangerous business? Not sure I understand why if so...

Well, the reason why I suggest a system restore is because it will bring your computer back to it's previous state, without much user interaction. If doubt that deleting the registry entries for the programs will do anything for you. System restore will not delete any data, just bring back the system changes back to what they were previously. Although, that does include programs, you could simply write down what programs you installed since then, and when you are finished restoring you can reinstall those programs you want.

Back
Top Bottom