What should I upgrade?

Dual Channel will work if the motherboard supports it and the timings and speed of the RAM is the same, and are on different channel
So i dont see why dual channel wont work since you are getting 2
Dual Channel - Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a total bandwidth of 128-bits, to move data from RAM to the CPU.
In order to achieve this, two or more DDR/DDR2 SDRAM memory modules must be installed into matching banks, which are usually color coded on the motherboard. These separate channels allow each memory module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. It is not required that identical modules be used, but this is often recommended for best compatibility for dual channel operation. It is possible to use a single-sided module of 512 MB and a double-sided module of 512 MB in dual-channel configuration, but how fast and stable it is depends on the memory controller.

Newegg was considering it at one time, but it never materialized...

mojo, this is a combo deal on a faster cpu and DDR2 6400 for about half the price that you're gonna pay if you buy them separate, OCZ memory though, not Corsair, but I think this cpu is an upgrade from the one you selected earlier (anyone who knows, chime in), and the memory modules are both the same, so they should run in dual channel...

$79 after MIR for cpu+RAM combo

and wow, that's a big step up for the video card, you'll probably need a new psu with that one, the 9600GT will probably be fine in your system but the GTX needs a 6 pin PCIe connector AND an 8 pin PCIe connector and draws more power...

but if you get the combo, you'll save enough to get a new PSU :D ...

maybe the store has a cheap PSU for $20, like mine, its 450W and cost me $19.99 without tax, but i dont think its a trustworthy psu, its more of a temp PSU. The 8800 only needs a 400W PSU.

Ah, that is a good deal. It's shame I don't have a credit card. It turns out they don't accept money orders, even though it says they do.

I think my PSU is 450W atm.

but the GTX needs a 6 pin PCIe connector AND an 8 pin PCIe connector and draws more power...
What do you mean, I don't understand. But if I do need a new PSU, they do sell them apparently.\

EDIT: Going to sleep, will be back tomorrow.

Ah, that is a good deal. It's shame I don't have a credit card. It turns out they don't accept money orders, even though it says they do.

I think my PSU is 450W atm.

What do you mean, I don't understand. But if I do need a new PSU, they do sell them apparently.

most of the video cards these days draw a lot of power and require a 6 pin PCIe connector just to turn on...

tp750w_2pcie.jpg

the 9800GTX that you are looking at is grouped with the select few (all Nvidia cards IIRC) that need a 6 pin PCIe connector AND a 8 pin PCIe connector (usually psus that are rated to run these select few cards have at least two 6 pin PCIe connectors, some have two 6 pin and two 6+2 pin connectors just in case people want to Xfire or SLi their video cards, basically combine two to run as one), this is an adapter that runs from one of the 6 pin PCIe connectors to make an 8 pin connector, both the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors need to be plugged into the 9800GTX for it to run...

PCIE-6-8_3853.jpg

here's the 6+2 pin PCIe connector that some psus have for the bigger/badder/but not always better Nvidia cards...

pcie6plus2.jpg

that's what's great about the 4850, not only does it beat the 9800GTX, it requires less power to do so, only one 6 pin connector is needed, which means you don't need a monster psu to run it, that's not the case with the 9800GTX...

I would try to find a good price on a 4850, that is the card to get right now...

wow... 8 pins...
must be nuts....
imagine in a couple of years, all graphics card needs 8 pins...

Alright, I did a bit more searching today and I came up with this. ncix.com accepts money orders, so I think I will order from them.

CPU (comes with fan): http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27680&vpn=ADO5200DOBOX&manufacture=AMD#Recommended

RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19337&vpn=OCZ2P800R22GK&manufacture=OCZ Technology

VIDEO (666 million transistors lol): http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30487&vpn=4850PE3512&manufacture=Diamond

My power supply is actually 420W (lc-a420atx) and it came with my computer case. The manager also told me that I will most likely need to change it in a few years, so I think I will do that now. I have money leftover so I might as well. Now here's where I'm really lost. 100% lost. Power supplies, what should I look for in a power supply?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1066

I have to head to work now, I would just like to thank both of you for your help. It's really confusing trying to upgrade a computer, building one is a bit easier. So, thanks a ton (imperial).

Back
Top Bottom