Switching to linux

iceshooter161

In Runtime
Hey, so I have been using Windows MCE 2005 for several years now, however, i'm honestly getting tired of it and want to try something new. I want to dual boot linux and MCE2005. I have been trying to figure out which linux distro will be best for my needs. I use my computer as a normal PC and also as a TV (have a hauppauge pvr-150 installed). What distro do you think I should get that will allow me to have atleast the same features that MCE brings to the table? Do you think getting Ubuntu and a program like MythTV is the best bet for me or LinuxMCE or what? When it comes to windows I consider myself an advanced user, however, i'm not the most familiar with linux. I could figure stuff out pretty easily though. What do you guys think?

From what I've been told. Xandros is the most 'Windows-like'. So, that may be one of the easier ones for you to switch to.

id go for ubuntu. its only because its popular and ive found it to be a good distro. then again any distro is only as good as you make it.

Plus Ubuntu is a Debian based distro -- .deb files are a blessing from above when you want to install something without the hassle of compiling it/using the package manager.

Welcome to Linux!!!
I would recommend that with system like yours you should be able to run any linux distro that you want. For beginners I recommend Ubuntu or Fedora. These are two different OS's that are easy for beginners to install and start on there journey.

Well, I guess it depnds partly on the PC you have, since i had some HORRIBLE issues with my ATi Graphics on SuSE.

I'd reccomend ubuntu, as i've had no issues on any of the computers i've ran it on.

Ok Thanks for all of the replys! I think I'm gonna go with ubuntu. Does anyone here have any experience with MythTV? I know that there is a Mythbuntu version of ubuntu but I think that in the long run it would be easier to just install mythtv ontop of ubuntu.

Back
Top Bottom