Would this all work well together? And would it be worth it?

Hunkychunkgoat

Beta member
This is a my wishlist at tigerdirect. If there are better things that i can get for the computer, even if they are just slightly downgraded for a much cheaper price, then im all for it. My budget is anywhere up to 3000 but im not really trying to take that long to save that much. Also if im missing anything important that would be great if you informed me of that also. This will be my first computer build project.

Corsair Dual Channel XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Price: $94.99*

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Price: $29.99

Intel Pro Desktop 10/100/1000 Gigabit PCI Network Adapter - OEM

Logitech Wave Keyboard - Multimedia, USB, PC/MAC, Black

Price: $49.99

EVGA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor 2.66GHz OEM

Price: $479.99*
Yes i know i could get the 680i but im planning on upgrading in the future and this is more upgrade proof

XFX GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Card - 1GB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDMI X2

Price: $334.99

Razer Death Adder 1800 DPI 3G Infrared Gaming Mouse

Price: $44.99

Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Rewritable Drive - 20x DVD±R, 8 DVD+RW, 6x DVD-R, 8x DVD±R DL, ATAPI/EIDE, Black

Samsung 2253BW 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 2ms, 1000:1, 1680x1050 ( WSXGA+), DVI, RGB Analog, Black

Price: $259.99*

Thermaltake Black Kandalf LCS Full-Tower ATX Case with Clear Side, Front USB, FireWire, Audio Ports and Built-In Liquid Cooling System

Price: $269.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

Price: $179.99

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive - 10K, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

Price: $299.99

Ultra Internal 3.5" Floppy Drive w/Multi Card Reader Black

Price: $24.99

Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular

Price: $299.81

nice choice for the video card :). Are you going to be running SLI?

Also your MOBO is kinda expensive for a previous technology. I am running the Asus P5N-T Deluxe with the 780i SLI Chipset and it only cost me $259.99, and its totally upgradable. Heres the place i got it, http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016934&cid=MB.157 trust me...a great board...i used it in my build, then one i'm sitting on right now...and i'm a VERY happy guy :D

dont go nvidia. get a 4870 or better yet wait and get the 4870x2 which will completely destroy the GX2. the 4870 alone is better than the GX2 by a major amount AND its cheaper.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news/ati-radeon-hd-4870-vs-geforce-9800-gx2-benchmark-results/

do you REALLY need a quad core? a high end dual core is going to be a quad when gaming... so if you're only playing games get a dual, if you're doing other stuff go quad. quads wont be needed for a couple years though.

Mobo ABIT QuadGT X38: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127033

CPU E8400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

GPU 4870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161236

HunkyChunkGoat, I would recommend you buy your hardware through another company. I know some people who have bought from Tigerdirect and were very dissatisfied with their customer service. I would be surprised if http://www.newegg.com did not have all of the parts you listed. I am confident that buying through newegg is a much better choice and that if you do need to RMA or return a product, newegg will give you much better customer service than Tigerdriect.

Could I also ask that you shorten your list (like remove some of the spaces between the items)? It's so long you can't view it all in 1 screen or a small scroll. Thanks :)

do you REALLY need a quad core? a high end dual core is going to be a quad when gaming... so if you're only playing games get a dual, if you're doing other stuff go quad. quads wont be needed for a couple years though.

so then wouldnt it be a wise and cost effective move to go ahead an get a quad?
then you would be set for a couple of years
with out have the cpu being bottlenecked for a while
at least thats according to you right?

so then what wrong with future- proofing the cpu component of the system?

i honestly dont understand why everyone keeps making posts like this?
whats wrong with being set for a couple of years?
i understand that the price differance inbetween the core 2 duo and quad is about half
but if he can afford it
and his budget is large enough
then whats wrong with it?

so then wouldnt it be a wise and cost effective move to go ahead an get a quad?
then you would be set for a couple of years
with out have the cpu being bottlenecked for a while
at least thats according to you right?

so then what wrong with future- proofing the cpu component of the system?

i honestly dont understand why everyone keeps making posts like this?
whats wrong with being set for a couple of years?
i understand that the price differance inbetween the core 2 duo and quad is about half
but if he can afford it
and his budget is large enough
then whats wrong with it?
I am not defending either party, but it could be more cost effective to buy the dual core processor now, and once quad core technology is more mainstream, the prices will drop, and you might be saving money waiting. I haven't done any math calculation on it, just throwing the idea out there.

dual cores will be used the same way single cores are now, for everything but the really intensive stuff. also, don't get a dedicated card unless you're recording (my take at least, maybe i'm wrong).

integrated playback is great nowadays, integrated recording just blows hard. and if you record, pick an M-Audio card.

then what would he do with a dual core cpu?
let it collect dust?

dude, dual cores perform better for gaming right now. theres no argument there. if he's building a gaming rig, he needs a fast dual core not a quad core.

Back
Top Bottom