Graphics Card Not At Full Capacity!

blazing933

Solid State Member
I have a XFX 8600 GTS XXX which is the oc'ed version and I wanted to compare my peformance to other cards with 3DMark 06 and I compared my tests and for some reason I have around the same score as a slightly underclocked 8600gt......my drivers are up to date......WHATS GOING ON!!:mad:

My GPU / Regular XFX 8600 GTS XXX

Overall Score: 4617 / 6309 (irrelevant because of CPU differance)
SM3.0/HDR: 2083 / 2241
SM2.0: 2214 / 2507

I couldn't tell you there because I'm not sure what the test is dependent on.

I was curious about something though. You said your card is the oveclocked version of the 8600GTS XXX and then you posted "Regular XFX 8600 GTS XXX" for the comparison stats. All XFX 8600GTS XXX cards are overclocked. There is no "regular" version of the XXX card.

I couldn't tell you there because I'm not sure what the test is dependent on.

I was curious about something though. You said your card is the oveclocked version of the 8600GTS XXX and then you posted "Regular XFX 8600 GTS XXX" for the comparison stats. All XFX 8600GTS XXX cards are overclocked. There is no "regular" version of the XXX card.

would a difference in memory matter...? 256MB vs 512 or 1GB...?

I don't think that would be it as all 8600GTS XXX cards carry only 256MB of memory. But increased video memory may account for the difference.

Maybe the "Regular XFX 8600 GTS XXX" he posted in his comparison is a regular 8600GTS 512MB card.

I overclocked my card overtop the overclock it comes with........Its hard to understand but hopefully it'll clear things up :rolleyes:

You could have overclocked it to much. Plus 300 points is pretty noticeable difference.

You overclocked your 8600GTS XXX. That makes sense.

Without knowing what the shader tests involve or what other parameters they are dependent on, I can't tell you why they are so different.

Have you tried looking through the Futuremark Forums?

300 points isn't that much actually, you can get that difference through drivers alone.

Most people shut down all unnecessary background programmes, set display properties to performance (nvidia control panel) and oc the crap out of their cards for a maximum score. Even if they don't oc they usually still do the background programmes/performance thing.

@OP: Which drivers were used in both yours and the Regular XFX 8600 GTS XXX tests?? Also, which operating system in both cases?

Back
Top Bottom