HELP WITh MY SECONDARY HARD DRIVE??!

6a9x3li

Solid State Member
hi

i recently just installed my spare hard drive from another comp i no longer use. its only a 20Gb hard drive and after i installed it into the comp it only shows that it has 2 Gb of space only? wheres the rest of my 18gb of space?! how can i go about to fix this? thanks for any help if possible.

Yeah, a bit more info will help us help you better. If you are running XP. Go to Start-Right Click "My Computer"-Click Manage-Then go to Disk Management. This will show your Hard drives and partitions.

sorry guys, im a noob to this forum, haha.

i am running windows xp. the amount of space is printed on the sticker on top of the HD and it says 20 Gb lols. im sorry but can you guys tell me what OS, IDE, and SATA is?

i right clicked on my computer and went to manage and on my secondary hard drive it shows 2 GB from that HD and 17.01 unallocated?

OS-Operating System. IDE and SATA are hard drives that use different connectors. Google it for more info.

Anyway, the majority of your hard drive is unallocated. It needs to be partitioned and formatted in order to use the remaining space (17.01). Just go back to the Disk Management:

1. Right click on the space listed as unallocated.

2. At the menu that comes up, click on the New Partition option.

3. You will now be presented with a wizard as to how you would like the partition to be created. At the first screen press Next.

4. At the following screen, determine if you need a primary or extended partition. Most people will be fine selecting Primary Partition. Select Primary Partition and press Next.

5. At the next screen you will be prompted to type in how much of the unallocated space you would like used for the new partition. In my example, my unallocated space is 26.43 GB, so I can choose to make a partition of that entire amount or only use half and save the rest for another partition. Regardless, of what you decide, you need to enter a size in the Partition size in MB: field, or stick with the default size, and press the Next button.

6. At the next screen select the drive letter you would like assigned to it, or use the default one given. When done, press the Next button. The drive letter that you assign here will be how you access the partition later.

7. In this step you will determine how you would like the new partition to be formatted. For the most part you are advised to use the NTFS file system. If you need a file system that can be readable by older operating systems like DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME, then you should instead choose the FAT32 file system.

8. Type a name in the Volume Label field that will be associated with this partition or leave it blank.

9. Finally press the Next button and you will come to a summary screen. Review how the partition will be created, and if you are satisfied, press the Finish button to complete the creation and formatting of your new hard disk partition.

Back
Top Bottom