asus m2n sli deluxe
2 asus en6600 in sli
amd athlon64 x2 4200+ @ 2400mhz
arctic cooling amd freezer pro fan
2 1gb sticks of ocz ddr2 pc6400 dual channel
320 gb seagate 7200rpm
500 gb western gigital caviar 7200rpm
lg generic dvd rw drive
and other peripherals like card reader, extra usb ports, generic creative sound card

psu came with sonata II case, antec smartpower II 450w
my computer kept shutting down after getting the new 500gb drive for no reason while playing games and getting serious error afterwards, no bsod or anything just plain shutdown, without any warnings

i checked the psu and neither of the two fans were working, i know that one fan is only supposed to work for this psu when its over a certain temperature and the other one is suppoesd to work whenever the computer is on, well neither works, the psu still works though but i dont want to risk it, i still have warrantee on it since i bought in 2006 and it has a 3 year warrantee but its prolly too much of a hastle to get it replaced + i dont think i can find the recipt for it.

i think i will buy from my local computer store shoprbc, i have been looking at these:

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/produ....php?pid=25606
ive heard a lot of good stuff about pcpower and cooling psu how its not modular and offers a solid 60amp 12v rail, though im not a psu expert so not rlly sure, but from what ive heard this is a really high end psu. and at this store the price lower than ncix or other online shopping sites available in canada

and this as a cheaper alternative:
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/produ....php?pid=28432

comments and advice appreciated, thanks =)

PC Power & Cooling are some of the best power supplies available. Extremely efficiant, reliable and well built.

The OCZ 500W StealthXStream would be a very good choice also. From what I have read, they are high quality units that are very dependable. The price is nice too.

PC Power & Cooling are some of the best power supplies available. Extremely efficiant, reliable and well built.

The OCZ 500W StealthXStream would be a very good choice also. From what I have read, they are high quality units that are very dependable. The price is nice too.

i agree totally, i had a 700watt ocz gamexstream quad rail on my system i just sold and it was a great psu. never had any problems what so ever with voltages or any type of random shutdowns. voltages stayed spot on and you certainly cant go wrong with their 3 year warranty!

main advice i can give...
1. Get a PSU with dual rails or more.
2. Buy a good quality PSU, don't skimp on the psu as it IS the most important and last line of protection for your system.
3. Buy a PSU that has expandability options, dont just get something that does what you need it to now, get one that will allow for upgrades down the road.
4. Spend at LEAST 60-70 on a PSU, anything above that price range is most likely a good solid psu.
5. If you can afford this, try to get an 80 Plus certified PSU. This means the voltage recitifier's are of high quality and will provide very stable clean power.

Antec is also a very good quality company. I have there 500watt Basiq and i havn't had any problems with it at all

before you buy one check that the PSU is compatible with your motherboard. do your research and it will save you money. for instance i know that some Enermax are not that compatible with some DFI boards. it has something to do with that Enermax complies with intel psu guidelines and DFI dont.

Back
Top Bottom