Sound proof

There's a difference between sound bleeding out of a room and sound reflecting within a room. Studios need to isolate the original wave, so they use these to cut down on reflected sound waves. They "absorb" the sound as a result of destructive interference, which is when two sound waves collide at opposite phases in the wave. It's essentially cancellation. The wave will still transmit energy through your walls. You need sealed doors, thick walls, and thick sound proof glass to keep sound from escaping the room.

I'm just warning him because it will be very weird to have a wall lined in that stuff. It just makes the inside of the room completely silent. It's a very unnatural feeling. I don't think that's what he is going for.

ahh... I didn't see the from.

and yea, its a bit weird at first.

edit- maybe he could cast concrete a foot thick inside his room? it seems like he has a big room.

It's tough for me to say for sure. I only have second hand experience with the stuff. However I don't think cutting down on reflected noise will help much in the realm of bleeding noise. That's something that you just gotta be willing to experiment to find out I guess.

All I know is that those studio foam/egg carton lined rooms almost make me feel funny, kinda sick. It's like a void.

It's tough for me to say for sure. I only have second hand experience with the stuff. However I don't think cutting down on reflected noise will help much in the realm of bleeding noise. That's something that you just gotta be willing to experiment to find out I guess.

All I know is that those studio foam/egg carton lined rooms almost make me feel funny, kinda sick. It's like a void.

yea, they are really weird, but the sounds in them is so pure. That is why I'm collecting egg cartons to do that to my room.... but then again I'm a drummer/audiophile (well, kinda one...) and I hate hearing the music in anything but the perfect environment.

I can understand drums... that junk will make you deaf without reflected sound.

Wear earplugs if you don't already.

Ok, I need i need egg cartons, cut them up and stick them around the walls, then put Glass Fiber Insulation and drywall & enermax panels on the egg cartoons. this should help an awful lot.

other way round

walls transmit sound so well because they are solid. put the foam on the wall to create a sponge that sound won't travel through so well.

then put the egg boxes onto the foam to reduce the reflected soundwaves, (if you want to do this),

though to be fair, the fiber glass insutation on it's own may have a rough enough surface to stop reflected waves.

I can understand drums... that junk will make you deaf without reflected sound.

Wear earplugs if you don't already.

I do..... 28dB reduction sound isolation headphones. Only way I can hear myself enough, but hear my music as well.

Funny thing is I don't play loud unless I'm playing a concert, but those headphones don't isolate as much.

Back
Top Bottom