my harddrives are failing like mad!!

amp27

Daemon Poster
i lost a WD(ide all are ide) about 2 mouths ago. and i pretty much lost 2 more yesterday. i was using the two and had w2kpro on a 20gig. and then i loaded xp onto the other. so i boot up on xp and 2000pro as slave and i never ever could see my slave win using xp.

well i didn't like xp so i wiped that disk clean bye deleteing the partition and then creating one again.(like i always do) but it could not complete the format.

so i did all i could and stuff. and somehow may 2000pro drive stopped working too........ but i still got it to load agian today. and then tryed my xp drive that didnt work...again....so i put the 2000pro drive back in and then that didnt work so it is very hit and miss.

any help or tips are welcomed and wanted and needed

drive that died and have not come back at all are:

WD(40gig):
started one day and all it did was beep repeatedly and list ramdom charactors on boot up.

maxto(30gig)(the xp drive): windows can not format it.

seagate(20gig)(the 2000pro): sometime works hit or miss

Tip: Don't buy Western Digital.

I lost a ton (30GB) of files, thanks to my WD drive head crashing. Sounds like you might be experiencing the same thing. Do the drives make any weird noises when booted? The drives themselves, I mean.

Well, if you can get the drives into a working machine both WD and Seagate have diagnostic tools on their sites, not sure what the go is with maxtor after Seagate (?) bought them out.

have you tried different IDE cables? this in/out sometimes works /sometimes doesn't sounds a lot like a faulty cable/plug/IDE header

EDIT:

Tip: Don't buy Western Digital.

I lost a ton (30GB) of files, thanks to my WD drive head crashing. Sounds like you might be experiencing the same thing. Do the drives make any weird noises when booted? The drives themselves, I mean.
Sounds highly subjective, one drive fails and the whole brand is suss??

You didn't lose your data because it was backed up, right? everyone backs up important data, yes? hardly WD's fault you didn't have a backup plan.

Sounds highly subjective, one drive fails and the whole brand is suss??

You didn't lose your file because they were backed up right, everyone backs up important data yes? hardly WD's fault you didn't have a backup plan.

WD drives are known for their poor quality (especially when it comes to their 2.5"). Their 3.5" is a bit better, but I would still avoid them as a whole (there's a reason they're so cheap).

And it wasn't important data, just music and video. I had only had the thing for, like, 8 months. I don't expect an external harddrive to head crash after only 8 months, do you?

mate, I've not used anything but WD for the last 10 years and only ever had one drive "fail" and then it was only a S.M.A.R.T error.

8 months means it was still under warranty, free replacement, no biggie

external HDD, well that's a whole different kettle of fish, was it ever dropped, banged, mishandled? that's usually the cause of head failure.

mate, I've not used anything but WD for the last 10 years and only ever had one drive "fail" and then it was only a S.M.A.R.T error.

8 months means it was still under warranty, free replacement, no biggie

external HDD, well that's a whole different kettle of fish, was it ever dropped, banged, mishandled? that's usually the cause of head failure.
I trashed it and got a Hitachi 160GB for my lappy, instead.

:p

You're one of the first people to say anything positive about WD that I've seen, though.

crazy, I would have at least grabbed the warranty replacement and ebayed it.

I know lots of people who exclusively use WD, maxtor was the shit brand for years, their fail rate was phenomenal.

Yo this isn't a "brand sucks" thread.

Back on topic now.... Either your cable is bad, or your hard drive controller is taking a crap on you and is taking drives with it. I've only seen a controller take out drives once before, but it's possible.

Yo this isn't a "band sucks" thread.
Damn straight, no one has mentioned any bands so it can't be. ;) :D

Back on topic now.... Either your cable is bad, or your hard drive controller is taking a crap on you and is taking drives with it. I've only seen a controller take out drives once before, but it's possible.
Could be the controller though if they go they usually go and not work intemittently, as I said above probably a cable or plug.

Damn straight, no one has mentioned any bands so it can't be. ;) :D
Ah my bad. bad typing for the lose.

Could be the controller though if they go they usually go and not work intemittently, as I said above probably a cable or plug.

Cables are definitely the more likely cause. I wouldn't jump right to controller away, i just wanted to put that out there because I have seen it happen.

Back
Top Bottom