New OS Install

epihammer

Baseband Member
I currently have my computer setup with Windows 2000 Pro on the C: drive and all the programs on a separate hard drive, drive E:
I want to upgrade my system to XP after I install a new motherboard. My question is...How do I get XP to see the existing programs on the E: drive? Do I have to re-install all the programs? Or can I just remap them?

Thanks,
Hammer

You will need to reinstall all the programs.

Can't you back up and restore on a new hdd?

XP Said you can, I remembenr seing it plenty of times when I formatted, it would say 'With xp you can get a new pc and restore your old items onto the new pc'
something like that anyway

Now, i had an old computer and i installed every OS on it except vista. You're installing a new OS, not restoring it. Every comp. that has xp has a restore feature. You're pretty much going to have to back up your programs separately and install XP.

You could try doing just an upgrade instead of a clean install, that will recognize the programs on the e drive since there will be registry entries for them. This is definitely the least desirable option however, a clean install would be way better and you will likely have less issues. Me personally, I would wipe it and reinstall the programs, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom