Sound proof

i once saw on tv...someone who sound proofed their room with Egg cartons....and hung thick drapes over it. Not sure if that bit of info helps...or sheds any light...

right going out next week to buy the things, ok heres how it goes, ill make a thread take a pic of my bedroom with it empty and ill keep updating the pics and telling you how I did it with a few videos.

my new project, wooooh, should take a few months but ill have vids of me doing it. I'll be reading instructions tho because I'm the type to take it easy and slow with these things.

thnx for your help guys, you guys helped me +1rep for all

Why don't you just get some really high quality multi-driver studio headphones or something? It would probably end up being cheaper and more effective.

dj'ing, I use headphones already hehe for everything, accept when I dj, I can't because I need the headphones to listen to my cue on the other track

You have to be selective about what material you use. Some materials like carpet only absorb the low end while styrofoam absorbs the high end. Either can make your music sound flat. There are some materials that do a decent job of sound proofing but cost out the arse.
What's transmitting the sound is the sheetrock nailed to the studs. If you can make the wallboard float over the studs secured with some thing like silicone glue, it lets the wallboard resonate but doesn't pass it on to the studs. Fill the void in the wall with thin styrofoam panels to the inside and thick fiberglass to the outside.

yep, carpet only will make it really high end heavy. not good.

i once saw on tv...someone who sound proofed their room with Egg cartons....and hung thick drapes over it. Not sure if that bit of info helps...or sheds any light...

yes, egg cartons will work really well for absorbing an equal spectrum.

or you could do something like this:
fort2.jpg

around the border of your room.

I have a feeling that will just keep sound from reflecting in the room rather than escaping it, but you can give it a shot.

egg cartons reflecting sound? no way. They absorb it. I know because a) I"m collecting them for my room, and b) I've read about people using them for studios (home studios) with reverb problems.

keep sound from reflecting

There's a difference between sound bleeding out of a room and sound reflecting within a room. Studios need to isolate the original wave, so they use these to cut down on reflected sound waves. They "absorb" the sound as a result of destructive interference, which is when two sound waves collide at opposite phases in the wave. It's essentially cancellation. The wave will still transmit energy through your walls. You need sealed doors, thick walls, and thick sound proof glass to keep sound from escaping the room.

I'm just warning him because it will be very weird to have a wall lined in that stuff. It just makes the inside of the room completely silent. It's a very unnatural feeling. I don't think that's what he is going for.

Back
Top Bottom