trying to upgrade to windows service pack 2 or 3

tylerbe992

Baseband Member
every time i try upgrading to windows service pack 2 or 3 i don't get a error or anything but it will randomly disappear! what do i do?

what randomly disappears? the install status thingy, or the service pack itself?

Are you trying to upgrade from XP basic or XP SP1a?

Afaik you need at least SP1a to install either service pack

ok....this is whats up...lol...i have a xp recovery CD ...im trying to use it to make my C drive my primary drive....but it gives me a choice to put windows on my C or H drive....if i put it on my C drive it only has 8 GB's....or if i put it on my H drive it has 300 GB's....im trying to make it so that it gives me a option with my C drive having the 300 GB's...but i dont know how to...i went into regedit and changed the letters but it still didnt work....isnt there like a program that can change my drive letters and all the important files and folders with it?

Disk Management will change drive letters but any software on your current C: drive would need to be reinstalled to the "new" C: drive.

Changing a drive letter will in no way "magiaclly" swap your data to a different physical drive.

i know i can change my drive letter through disk management....i did and and restarted the computer and windows wont start up because of the start up files it needs....i tried to redo windows xp CD recovery disk but it still says drive H even though i switched it to C!!!!

its like the primary letter is H and not C....is there a way i can make it on the recovery CD that it needs to be C instead of H?

any help is great!!

:eek:

fixed!! yes fixed!! sicne this is a forum i will explain what i did for others with the same situation...if any...
i deleteed the partition with the smallest amount of memory which was the H drive...and i went into regedit to change the drive H to C afetr i deleted H it was still there as a primary...afterwards i re-installed the os again and it was C instead of H!!

took about a month to figure it out...thank god for my laptop...ahha

thxs guys for the help also! thxs!:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom