Slow New Computer.

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
I built the thing.. it's been running for about a month but there were some issues. I was just to lazy to make a post :D

Man, when I first built it, it was fast as lightning. IE pages would open fast.. programs would open fast.. Once I got my 24" monitor, however, things started to slow slightly. I was told it was my 20$ video card (substitute untill I get the 4870).

The boot up is slow. I press the button. It does the bars probably 15 times, then it goes to the blue screen (right before the welcome screen. You probably never notice that one because it switches fast on NORMAL computers).. anyways, it sits there for about 20-30 seconds. Then it gets to the welcome screen! I press on my name, type in my pass and BAM! It's welcoming me for another 20-30 seconds. :p

YAY! I'm in! nope... it shows my (desktop) background for another 20 seconds.... then my computer kicks in (explorer.exe.... the desktop/taskbar.. everything) then my programs load up fairly fast.. maybe 5 seconds. Which consists of AVG and live messenger.

Ok, easy fix. I read somewhere that your drivers can be all out of wack if you built your computer.. run bootvis, which I have done in the past. So I run it.. notice that AVG is running through the whole process (welcoming and such... I think.. IF I REMEMBER! It was a long time ago :D) I never new that bootvis defragged the computer! It tried defragging my larger partition and BAM "Some files could not be defragged" and basically said you're screwed, go away...

On top of that I've been noticing some things.. It takes longer to open things, of course. On various forums and other sites when it says "Click here if the page does not redirect you" I find myself clicking that. I can wait forever and it wont redirect. YouTube Videos wont play.. Well, they arn't even there! you can look at the other post if you would like.

I don't know, things are all screwed up and it's making me mad. I mad this computer to go fast :D You can see the specs below. Running XP Home.

i usually reinstall windows once a month because mines starts to do the same.
i dont think the card would do it, im using a really cheap one right now (X700) and it boots up like when i used the X1950.
its either something you installed, or removed.
if you are using XP, click on start
Then RUN...
then type MSCONFIG
then click on the startup tab, and unclick the ones you dont want to open when windows start.
see if that makes it go faster.
If not, then my solution would be to reinstall windows.
of course there are different members on this forum that could figure it out without reinstalling windows.

Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for... Without a clean install. That wouldn't be my answer anyway because it's my partition that can't be formatted. I know it's something I put on there already but I don't know how to figure out what it is. msconfig, I know about all of that and have done it...

Thank you so much for the reply though!

I think it's stupid.. all I have is about 20gb takin up.. and it's all stuff I used to have.

the manual msconfig/startup background services fix is usually the first thing i go for, and it makes the MOST difference (i've been paid up to $50 just for doing that before, because the difference was so dramatic for my uncle, haha)

nice specs, btw - that phenom kicks a$$. good ram too. and good choice for the future (4870) that thing freaking sweeps the floor with nvidia's so-called "competitors" (even though the 9800gtx doesnt stand a chance to the 4870, and the gtx260 loses to it.) ATI's back.

yeah, I'm going to be getting it in a few months... hopefully prices will drop.

Alright, I found the files screwing my defrag up.. and I'm defragging now. I'm going to run bootvis, after I finish installing WoW, and see what that will do. Then I'm going to take AVG off of the start up list and see what that does. Because I remember that being a big problem when I tried bootvis earlier...

My browser not redirecting is really making me mad though...

I think it might even be a bug on your hard drive you've picked up while online.

I say this because my system takes 9 scrolls of the Windows bar and straight into my desktop and I have AVG, Audigy 2, RAID, etc starting up!

Ok my system might slow a bit once in Windows while it loads various things but I can still use my rig. And after 10 secs I get now slow down.

I haven't even defrag'd for a while now.

So if you can do a complete re-install and make sure AVG is running in startup. Your system, *drool!*, is more than capable of running AVG and other apps at startup without thinking about it.

Id start by checking how many programs you have running on start up, turn off some automated updates to see if that helps, a defrag and using Ccleaner is good, try removing some data off your HDD and storing them on discs instead( music, films, photos etc).

I've done all that. And I don't have any stuff like that :D

Is there a way to enable or disable java script?

googling* :p lol I'l get javascript...

Alright, I went to my bros computer because I was trying to buy some sheet music on mine and I counldn't see the "sample" music or the buy it now button (both in a sectioned off window on the page). I couldn't see what was in the sectioned off page and there was no add to cart button on MY COMPUTER. I went to my bros and I had to enable that activex thing.. and I could see it. how do I know if that's on or not? I don't see it under the Internet Options>Security-- thing

Thanks

Jesus christ.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp

I see that, I read that.. and I probably have a virus causing it. Although I have no idea becuase AVG wont catch anything and I have spybot but it's not catching anything and I CAN"T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING because something is screwed up and it's PISSING ME OFF

This has now become an internet problem.

The problem is, I remember scanning with something because I couldn't defrag properly. I had a worm.. I think with kaspersky. Avg didn't catch it.. and kaspersky said it got rid of it. I think, if I remember :D I guess I'll do a series of online scans. Worms, rootkits, viruses.. :p

Well, I can't do online scans or download things. Javascript isn't working. It's not active x, it IS java script, but it is also enabled.

HOLY ASODJASPDAPISDHA

IT WORKED! I went to services.msc and put "COM+ System Application" on automatic and it WORKED! everything works now.

I got an error on bootvis sayed the schedueler timed out so I figured that was it. Now I have to see if bootvis works.. but I'm just glad everything else works. Youtube, javascript.. yay!

---------

Ah, which is why boot vis didn't work in the first place. Some reason the com+ keeps switching it's self from auto to manual...

Back
Top Bottom