Looking to do an upgrade.

duxtape

BSOD
Mt current computer is getting a bit slow and behind in times.
it is a
Pentium 4 2.4 OC'd to 3.0
2gb ram
7800gs OC
I only want to upgrade those parts. My psu is a 450 watt.
can anyone help me out? im looking to spend about 200 bucks

i would assume a P4 @ 2.4 would be socket 478 which doesnt leave alot of room for upgrade as your RAM is prob DDR again no upgrade for DDR2 and if you are very unlucky you dnt have a PCIeX16 slot only an AGP Slot which means you def need a new motherboard.

sell it for $150 on craigslist and gather up $80 more.

then for $280 (after selling and racking up $80 more), you can get this
2enz2py.jpg

COD4 on max at 1680x1050 at 40fps+, Crysis on high at 1280x1024 at 30fps. That system alone is on a completely different level than your current machine.

If you're just looking to upgrade, you're not gonna be able to do much if your board doesnt support the a dual-core processor and 4GB of memory. and if you're stuck with AGP, the highest you can go is the Radeon HD3850 (which will be bottlenecked by your P4), and the 8800GT is still way more powerful and much cheaper (the AGP 3850 is damn expensive)

EDIT: i accidentally picked the DDR2-667 2GB dimm, pick the DDR2-800 instead, it should be about the same price.

i would assume a P4 @ 2.4 would be socket 478 which doesnt leave alot of room for upgrade as your RAM is prob DDR again no upgrade for DDR2 and if you are very unlucky you dnt have a PCIeX16 slot only an AGP Slot which means you def need a new motherboard.

as i have found out as well
check out my new thread
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=74084

sell it for $150 on craigslist and gather up $80 more.

then for $280 (after selling and racking up $80 more), you can get this
2enz2py.jpg

COD4 on max at 1680x1050 at 40fps+, Crysis on high at 1280x1024 at 30fps. That system alone is on a completely different level than your current machine.

If you're just looking to upgrade, you're not gonna be able to do much if your board doesnt support the a dual-core processor and 4GB of memory. and if you're stuck with AGP, the highest you can go is the Radeon HD3850 (which will be bottlenecked by your P4), and the 8800GT is still way more powerful and much cheaper (the AGP 3850 is damn expensive)

EDIT: i accidentally picked the DDR2-667 2GB dimm, pick the DDR2-800 instead, it should be about the same price.

now that is just weird!
read this
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=74084

so if I soold my current PC for 200 dollars I could get a system with a dual core AMD and a 8800?
I have A asrock p4i65g.
I kinda want to keep my 7800 for my dad's comp so do you think it would make much of a differance if I put a ati 9700PRO in?

I kinda want to keep my 7800 for my dad's comp so do you think it would make much of a differance if I put a ati 9700PRO in?

probably not. i doubt anyone looking for a used P4 machine is a gamer, therefore it prbably would not matter to them, they probably just need one for office/school work. be sure to emphasize "overclocked, very fast" (because very fast has no context, therefore its not wrong, its just your opinion)

so if I soold my current PC for 200 dollars I could get a system with a dual core AMD and a 8800?
I have A asrock p4i65g.
yes. you probably wouldnt be able to sell it for $200 though, (its worth a try maybe), thats why i said $150, because its a good amount and its still within the realm of reasonable prices (to a noob craigslist/ebay shopper who doesn't know what a good deal is/or doesnt care and just needs something for office work or school)

thats what I was thinking.
I wanted to pwn some noob for 50 dollars.
I will emphasize the oc part aswell as the 2gb of memory.

Back
Top Bottom