Uses for a Second Hand PC

What is the advantage of using the PC as a torrentbox, over using my own computer for it?

The folding@home idea sounds great, we'll do it if we have another use as well so that the power the PC uses is worth it. The PC is still good for games like Half Life 2 / Garry's Mod, with low gfx.

Again though, I don't want to spend much on it, if anything. I will rake up an old CD ROM or something to reformat it and start from scratch. The current video card has an s-video out and AV out - it's AGP 8x, I'm not going to waste money on an old AGP video card just for another output.

More suggestions are welcome!
-Rhys

yes perfect^ thats why i use my moms computer :p and it still do not have any bugs.

but i like the media idea. use it to record show and download movies and everything. have like 2Tb in there and as much ram as you can put in it. and a very never tuner card and video card with hdmi and a hell of a lcd tv with hdmi ofcouse.

not to much money if you go all out only 3000 grand

2000 grand for tv and 1000 for the computer products

Only 3,000? Haha.
I have an old 2.4ghz P4 with .5g of ram. I'm not going to stuff it with hard-drive space and a new video card and a new tuner, and then buy an LCD TV. It'd be great, but that doesn't really complement my "using this computer without spending money on it" idea.

yes perfect^ thats why i use my moms computer :p and it still do not have any bugs.

but i like the media idea. use it to record show and download movies and everything. have like 2Tb in there and as much ram as you can put in it. and a very never tuner card and video card with hdmi and a hell of a lcd tv with hdmi ofcouse.

That's stupid. You don't need a computer anything faster than what he already has for a good home server. The only thing he would have to possibly buy is more hard drive space and Windows Home Server if he can't torrent it.

I think the computer has alot of life in it still. P4 really aint that bad, I would still use it for anything but playing demanding games. If not, then selling it and upgrading a part or 2 on your main rig would be cool too.

Only 3,000? Haha.
I have an old 2.4ghz P4 with .5g of ram. I'm not going to stuff it with hard-drive space and a new video card and a new tuner, and then buy an LCD TV. It'd be great, but that doesn't really complement my "using this computer without spending money on it" idea.

a old 2.4 Ghz computer. your lucky the best computer in my house is the one in my sig. and i didnnt remember the not spending money part lol

3000 grand?!? 2000 grand? What does that mean? If translated into English, that'd be 3,000,000/2,000,000. $3,000,000 seems kind of excessive for home theater entertainment if you ask me. :)

2 or 3 grand = 2,000/3,000

BTW ... I second root's idea of media center. $80 or so for hauppauge 1600/1800 hvr and $90 for 500gb hard drive. If you want, you could spend another $50 or so for additional memory, but isn't necessary.

Just for the record, this is what I have done with the PC:

I have turned it into a media server. I decided to give myself the challenge of turning it into an HTPC without spending a cent. I got ahold of an RCA cable and adapter to hook up the sound to my stereo system. I am looking to grab a coaxial card so I can get full surround sound sent to the system, but we'll see. I'm also getting ahold of a free wireless card, and I got a free wireless router too. Without a spare kb or mouse, I have a TightVNC server setup and control it via my own PC. I use MediaPortal to run videos (which strangely enough runs videos smoothly while media player lags big-time).

Thanks for your help!
-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom