Need Help!!!

Combatspace

Baseband Member
I recently acquired an archaic laptop that I would very much like to get running again. Its a Gateway 9150 Solo SL, 333 MHz processor (ZOMG!!!) 64 Mb RAM (OH NOES!!!) and came with Windows 95 originally. However, when I reformatted the old 6 GB hard drive, and tried to install XP Home SV2, it would get about halfway through the "Installing Devices" phase and then the screen would go black. The computer would still be on, yet when I figured it would return to normal and walked off, I came back about four hours later to find that it was still black. T^T

I found an old W98 MS-DOS disk, but before I reformat and install it, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions other than scrapping it.

Also, I am on a tight budget and would REFUSE to spend any more than about 200 dollars on this...

Mkay, thanks for the heads-up. If I got a new HDD for the comp, you figure it would run?

nvm, now the poor thing wont even start up... T^T

I hit the power button and the only thing that happens is the "Loading" and "CD Loading" lights flash once...no noise from the HDD or anything else... I hope I didn't fry it... o_O

Ran out of drive space. Go with the win98 OS.

it didn't run out of disk space, XP is only 1.5GB and the hdd was 6GB, the laptop is near the minimum for the processing speed (233mhz) and is below the minimum for memory (at least 128MB, 64MB is supposedly supported, but probably not enough coupled with the low processing speed)...

like seti said, get win98 or maybe even ME...

Yeah...its fried...tried reassembling it and still it wont even power up...

Oh well, there's always my desktop to work on...

I loled when they said ran out of drive space. Seein as how it cocked up when it got to installing devices id say that your comp was too old for xp to have the right drivers for. But then again the drivers dont kick in until the reboot ? Oh well fried now :(

sell it on ebay, and use the proceeds from that coupled with your $200 to get a better machine...

or use windows 98... xp is just not going to work on that machine.

what about windows 2k
eeeeewwwwww w2k? That was installed on it before i reformatted the hard drive, so was w95 and w98... oh and the xp service pack upgrades for w2k...

it was a total mess...4 GB of the total 6 was taken up by erroneous OS's... e___e''

Back
Top Bottom