Car Thread!

When the trans breaks in 20,000 miles let me know. I'll hook you up with some good info.
Sure hope it doesn't break... I'm not going to be driving it hard. I just spent a years savings on the car, I'll be easier on it than I was with my Tempo for sure. I've heard of a lot of transmissions breaking on the TeamZX2 forum, but most everyone has a stick, mods their car, and drives them harder. I'm hoping it's a problem with the manual transmissions...

Not as fun
That's the problem :D
I don't mind if it's not as fun. As I said, I think I'll have fun driving it with an auto.

Mine broke at 60K I think. And sure, I drive the hell out of mine, but it's happened to other people too.

It's the 4f27e auto, and many of them end up with a broken shift solenoid. It's easy to fix yourself though and you won't get hit with a $1k + bill.

EDIT: Actually, I just did some research. I guess the 4f27e never made it into the ZX2's, so you may have dodged a bullet. :D

EDIT: Actually, I just did some research. I guess the 4f27e never made it into the ZX2's, so you may have dodged a bullet. :D
Nice to know. I was pretty sure the Focus and Zx2 had different transmissions. The Zx2 has a Mazda tranny or something I heard...

Yeah, but at the same time if you want to have control, a lot of SMG gearboxes let you have control anytime. So if you don't want to control it and you have a drink to hold, then just let it run in automatic. If you feel like driving enthusiastically then you can take direct control of the gearbox.

I guess. But I don't really care though, I love having a clutch and a shift handle. It's what makes driving enjoyable for me. And it's not like I have to hold my drink the whole time I'm driving.

Nice to know. I was pretty sure the Focus and Zx2 had different transmissions. The Zx2 has a Mazda tranny or something I heard...

It probably is because the Focus does too. They have different names but essentially they are the same transmissions. I guess the one in the Focus came first though since that was 98 and the Mazda3 came out a little later. But yeah you probably just got a variant of an older Mazda trans.

It probably is because the Focus does too. They have different names but essentially they are the same transmissions. I guess the one in the Focus came first though since that was 98 and the Mazda3 came out a little later. But yeah you probably just got a variant of an older Mazda trans.
Ah, ok, lol. I don't know anything about my transmission, lol. I did some reading and it seemed everyone that was complaining about dying transmissions on the Zx2 all had 5 speed manuals... Saw 1 auto (that mentioned it) in the list of transmission problem people... So maybe it's better to get an auto for the Zx2...?

Ah, ok, lol. I don't know anything about my transmission, lol. I did some reading and it seemed everyone that was complaining about dying transmissions on the Zx2 all had 5 speed manuals... Saw 1 auto (that mentioned it) in the list of transmission problem people... So maybe it's better to get an auto for the Zx2...?

you'll be fine with an auto, especially if your not ragging on it. The main thing people ruin in the 5 speeds is either the differential, which is from high rpm launching and burnouts, and shift forks, which comes from shifting like a retard and not knowing how to drive. The zx2 and the focus use different transmissions so I wouldn't worry about the issue D-Lew was speaking of, the zx2 atx is pretty reliable if you don't rag on it.

you'll be fine with an auto, especially if your not ragging on it. The main thing people ruin in the 5 speeds is either the differential, which is from high rpm launching and burnouts, and shift forks, which comes from shifting like a retard and not knowing how to drive. The zx2 and the focus use different transmissions so I wouldn't worry about the issue D-Lew was speaking of, the zx2 atx is pretty reliable if you don't rag on it.
That's good to know because that's something I definitely don't want to have to worry about replacing. I'll just try to keep up with regular maintenance, it worked with my Tempo with only the water pump going out in almost 2 years, and then a radiator leak forming. It still functions, you just have to refill with some coolant from time to time...lol. Tried all kinds of stop leaks and they didn't work.

Who would know how to program keyless entry on a 1998 Ford Contour?
You mean besides a Ford dealership? <that's all I know of...unless you have a non-ford aftermarket keyless entry system.

Here's a couple new pics from this morning. Washed and waxed it, but didn't get any pics before putting it on the lift. It needs front brake work. Back brakes are ok. I attempted to take off the cracking and already coming off pinstripe on the driver's side. I got off most of it, but it decided not to come off all the way. Is there anything to use to get this off? I want the whole other side off as well so it doesn't look tacky with just one side off.
HPIM1614.jpg

HPIM1615.jpg

HPIM1617.jpg

HPIM1619.jpg

HPIM1621.jpg

Back
Top Bottom