4ghzs Q6600- What Next?

Nice looking board, I'm not sure if I could go water cooling, I'd be too paranoid about leaks

:D

When I still had my Q6600, I was seriously thinking about it. I knew the chip had so much more to give that and that I wasn't going to get it's full potential with air cooling. But now that I have my E3110, my voltage cap is reached before air cooling reaches it's limit.

Nehalem apparently is a big chip with a high TDP, perhaps then...

For some reason I thought the Q6600 was 3.0GHz at stock settings. So then I thought, wow, this is not that amazing. But I knew that was weird to I went to double check myself. And man...all I had to say after that was "Nice OC".

So is this like the limit? Have you tried further?

mmmmmmm, been a while since he posted, hope he didn't spring a leak.

I was really interested to see his vcore, VID etc.

Hey guys (in particular A True Folder)

Sorry its taken so long to reply to you, rig has been down for awile. Just got it back up and got some screenshots and validation files for you.

CPU-Z Validation: 445x9 (sorry to dissapoint you those that thought it might be 500x8 :()
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=389660

Vcore: 1.664v (lots of voltage however it is stable)
vcorenw1.jpg

VID: 1.300v
vidky4.jpg

(Check out the horrible temperatures even under no load at all, will post some load temperatures soon)

If you guys need any more info just shout :p (just dont ask me to do prime95 :p)

(just dont ask me to do prime95 :p)

Mate, at that voltage you're looking Electrical Migration/CPU degradation squarely in the eye, I assume that you intend replacing the cpu some time in the not too distant future and that this is not a 24/7 oc. You do realise that the max you should be feeding it is 1.5v yes?

High VID too, probably accounts for the volts required.

Temps elevated to hell but that is to be expected with the voltage you're poking through it I suppose.

From the quoted comment I would assume this is an unstable suicide run.

Impressive for the fact that the cpu hasn't burnt out I suppose but rather unnecessary, rather you than me as that oc is a path to hardware destruction imo.

I shudder to think what the load temp will be :eek:

EDIT: Thanks for taking the time and effort to post that, I hope it wasn't solely for our benefit and that the oc has been relaxed to something more "realistic"

It all depends on how long he is keeping the CPU, my guess is, not too long.

From the research I've done, it seems that Vcore is not the most important factor in CPU damage, high VVT voltage is mostly to blame a lot of the time. Particularly concerning the 45nms, many people killed their CPUs running 1.3V+ on VVT, whilst many others ran fin with a 1.4V Vcore and 1.1 VVT.

You do have a high VID, that can partially explain the high volts. I envy the lucky people who got Q6600's with 1.2V VIDs, my best was 1.275V, and that would do 3.5GHz with 1.35V, not too bad.

And I don't put a lot of thought into temps, it's a minor factor IMO, far behind voltages. It's almost impossible to damage a CPU from submitting it to high temperatures, throttling kicks in before any real damage is caused. And sure, you may shorten the lifespan slightly, but nothing that would really matter. That's not to say that I don't do everything to reduce temps, I took the time to lap my CPU and cooler, and I do have my limit, it's just a little higher than other people's. But you're not a real overclocker if you're not going to push everything to the limit. :p

Great OC Speedydowt, congrats.

Could you determine the lowest stable voltage @ 3.6GHz 400x9? just so all of us poor sods with air cooling have a reference point. My old Q6600 would do it with 1.375V, and the one before that needed 1.4V.

3x120MM radiator and it's still that hot? :eek:

How much air are the fans pushing through the rad?

Back
Top Bottom