IIS Problems

WeeWoh

Baseband Member
I have a problem with my website. I am on a dynamic ip address so the website domain is jjt.servehttp.com.

Anyway I am running a 500MHz Pentium 3 server with 192MB of RAM on Windows 2000 and Microsoft IIS. The website behaves strangely when I try to view it in my laptop sometimes and from itself.

Sometimes it works fine, others it refuses connections (according to Firefox) and sometimes a download window pops up in Firefox and it says 'downloading application/octet stream' or in IE it displays an 'f'.

When you try to view it on itself (using localhost) it always works, but either using the DNS name or the ip address on the internal network (port forwarding is configured) it does the above.

This happens on every single page whether it has javascript in or not.

Zone Alarm reports that inetinfo is not listening but TCPView says it is.

dude with that computer if it is a dedicated server get linux and run apache web server.

or if you wonna stick with windows put xp on it and use abyss web server

dude with that computer if it is a dedicated server get linux and run apache web server.

or if you wonna stick with windows put xp on it and use abyss web server

Ive tried Debian Linux on a webserver before. Cos im a n00b i couldnt get it to work properly so win 2k we are. The server needs to be in my bedroom else I will get killed if it is anywhere else so its on wireless and wireless doesnt work with Linux very well. Cant get linux wireless drivers to work on Ubuntu so there isnt much hope for Debian there.

you are fine to run windows 2000 with IIS on that box,

in fact 8 years ago when windows 2000 came out that wasn't a bad machine.

there is a downside that you're running an old unsupported OS, so it's likely vulnerable to attack.

I've been running windows 2003 on a box with less power than that for years, (about five of them actually). assuming this is a low scale personal site then there should be nothing wrong with it.

of course that server will not allow you to scale to a site that recieves hundred, thousands, or hundreds of thousands or daily page views!

I had a similar problem using no-ip.org, its because it contains the external ip address and if your on the same network you need the internal ip.

as for windows 2000 its supposted to be supported untill 2010 althought new program like IE7 are not availble for it.

you are fine to run windows 2000 with IIS on that box,

in fact 8 years ago when windows 2000 came out that wasn't a bad machine.

there is a downside that you're running an old unsupported OS, so it's likely vulnerable to attack.

I've been running windows 2003 on a box with less power than that for years, (about five of them actually). assuming this is a low scale personal site then there should be nothing wrong with it.

of course that server will not allow you to scale to a site that recieves hundred, thousands, or hundreds of thousands or daily page views!

Well, if my site had that many hits id be able to afford to build a new box for it [well actually a new PC for me ;)] And win 2k isnt that bad now. That machine has a faster boot up time than my turion laptop running Vista!
I had a similar problem using no-ip.org, its because it contains the external ip address and if your on the same network you need the internal ip.

as for windows 2000 its supposted to be supported untill 2010 althought new program like IE7 are not availble for it.
No it wont work with the internal address or the external address and now the wireless adaptor has died so im kinda stuffed...

Hmm, ocet stream - what file extension if the file you are trying to view. If its perl or C++ or something as a CGI it will prompt to download if you don't print "content-type: text/html\n\n";

Hmm, ocet stream - what file extension if the file you are trying to view. If its perl or C++ or something as a CGI it will prompt to download if you don't print "content-type: text/html\n\n";

It didnt have a file extension in Firefox, but when I tried to download it I got a .part file

is this still happening if you create a simple HTML document and try accessing that, (just a simple hello world).

Back
Top Bottom