No power?

shadygirl420

In Runtime
I gave my mom my old computer when I built mine. She called me the other day sayin it didnt have power. Of course I thought for sure it just came unplugged. When I got to look at it though, it just wouldnt come on. I dont know if its the power supply or what? I never had this kinna problem before. Any suggestions? Its just a old compaq nothing real nice, but its only like 3 years old. Thanks for any feedback.

is the light on the mothorboard on? and do fans spin? check the main power switch in the back (NOT THE VOLTAGE SWITCH)

nothing happens at all no fans spinning nothing the light comes on the power supply for like 5 sec then goes off. other than that nada.

Is it on a surge protector? If so try unplugging it,and holding down the reset button (On the powere board) for 10 seconds,plug in everything and see if it works then.

There are a few possibilities for this.

My friend had the same problem and it turned out his motherboard died. Couldn't figure out why until he told me that he used a feather duster to dust his computer :rolleyes:

Power supply could be dead, it happens. Get a paper clip, unplug the 20/24 pin mobo connector and stick the paper clip in with the green wire and any black wire. It should power on. If it doesn't, an obvious sign it's gone, or a wire is shorting out (recently happened to my dad's PC).

Have you checked the power button and the connection itself? Make sure it's plugged in (I don't think polarity matters, check anyway to be safe) and make sure no wires got disconnected somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom