while googling a question someone asked on this board, I stumbled upon this...

Whichever way it turns out, it's going to cost Nvidia a lot of money, something they could do without right now.

Plus, they just got sued by the one, and only, RAMBUS.

Nvidia will just end up doing the same thing AMD did, finally start paying royalties to RAMBUS...

AMD pays up

Nvidia had to realize that they would have to pay at sooner or later, obviously they chose later, which could be a huge mistake, because I doubt they get off with the same type of deal that AMD did, $75 million over 5 years...

also, most mainstream laptop and PC users will be totally ignorant to the fact that their graphics processors are failing, they'll continue to send their laptops or desktops off to get fixed, thinking it was another part that failed, motherboard, LCD screen, etc., totally oblivious to the fact that they just happen to own a GPU that is almost guaranteed to fail at some point...

I have an 8500GT and 8600GT, but will probably be upgrading very soon, my desktop card will probably hold out until then, so I'm not too worried about it...

Nvidia will just end up doing the same thing AMD did, finally start paying royalties to RAMBUS...

AMD pays up

Nvidia had to realize that they would have to pay at sooner or later, obviously they chose later, which could be a huge mistake, because I doubt they get off with the same type of deal that AMD did, $75 million over 5 years...

also, most mainstream laptop and PC users will be totally ignorant to the fact that their graphics processors are failing, they'll continue to send their laptops or desktops off to get fixed, thinking it was another part that failed, motherboard, LCD screen, etc., totally oblivious to the fact that they just happen to own a GPU that is almost guaranteed to fail at some point...

I have an 8500GT and 8600GT, but will probably be upgrading very soon, my desktop card will probably hold out until then, so I'm not too worried about it...

thanks for the info
and for your sake i hope they hold out as well

If what those reports are saying is true, does any big retail company care?
I think I'm going to start following the ATI routes. It's not like their cards aren't powerful (far from it)

Back
Top Bottom