need a good heatsink

I have it's little brother...

Xigmatek HDT-S963

Cabbs linked the bigger model, IIRC the heatsink is bigger and it has a bigger fan than mine, but the "bang for your buck" comment is spot on with either one, for someone who doesn't OC or just mildly OCs (10%-20%) the Xigmatek HDT-S963 is only $15 after rebate and keeps the temps on my E6600 in the low 30s (idle) to high 30s (load), I don't see much of a change when I OC, maybe a few degrees here or there so it does creep into the low 40s when OCed, which is acceptable IMO, great cooler, I've never had any of the big boys (Ultra 120, Zalman, etc...), but I've never really had the need, and this one is dirt cheap and performs almost on par with the ones that are 4 or 5 times as expensive...

How does it compare to the stock heatsink?

How does it compare to the stock heatsink?

my temps dropped about 15 degrees, I was idling at around 45-47 degrees with the stock Intel and now idle around 30-32 degrees...

I don't game or OC very heavily, but even when I encode video, run other applications and surf the web at the same time my temps almost never get above what I used to idle at before (45-47 degrees), the encoding itself just about maxes out one of my cores, with all the other stuff going on it gets to be about an 80% load, the highest I've seen it get since I installed the Xigmatek is 51 degrees...

for the Asus Triton 79 Cooler...will i have to remove my motherboard to install it?
I do not want to remove my mobo, so can someone tell me if i would have to if i purchased the Triton 79 cooler. Thanks!

my temps dropped about 15 degrees, I was idling at around 45-47 degrees with the stock Intel and now idle around 30-32 degrees...

I don't game or OC very heavily, but even when I encode video, run other applications and surf the web at the same time my temps almost never get above what I used to idle at before (45-47 degrees), the encoding itself just about maxes out one of my cores, with all the other stuff going on it gets to be about an 80% load, the highest I've seen it get since I installed the Xigmatek is 51 degrees...

Awesome. I will keep this one in mind if I decide to get an aftermarket heatsink myself.

for the Asus Triton 79 Cooler...will i have to remove my motherboard to install it?
I do not want to remove my mobo, so can someone tell me if i would have to if i purchased the Triton 79 cooler. Thanks!

From what I read on the Triton 75 you don't have to remove the motherboard. Not sure if that goes for the Triton 79 as well.

I would have much rather preferred the Xigmatek, though the Tall Boy was just too Tall :p

That Thermaltake drop in temp that I reported was also done at minimum fan speed..I'm sure it would drop a couple more degrees by going over to Max Speed.

I would have much rather preferred the Xigmatek, though the Tall Boy was just too Tall :p

That Thermaltake drop in temp that I reported was also done at minimum fan speed..I'm sure it would drop a couple more degrees by going over to Max Speed.

I had linked a shorter (little brother) version, which is also very good and $10 less than his, it dropped my temps about 15 degrees with an E6600, but I had actually looked at the Thermaltake as well, there are tons of good coolers...

I had a TT Big Tower before, it performed identically to my Zalman 9700. That's not bad, but my TRUE was about 5 degrees cooler.

Back
Top Bottom