Fuel Prices in UK

scrap it all and have a tax on each city/town LOL that would be wicked because it would get most drug junkies and drunkens and chav's down another town/city because if you go to diffrent tax laws like if they put hugh tax on manchester you would see less people in that city, chav's and all the other drunks and druggies could'nt afford it, this leave rich people in a releaxed area but expensive and wicked because theirs no non workers around.

teh price of diesel i cant afford to drive around as it is.. heck, i cant afford to get to work at the moment.. probably gonna be oweing a petrol garage money at the end of the month.. again.. and i work a 40+ hour week..

not being able to afford to get to work is bad enough.. but if i had to pay to get home id end up sleeping on the hard shoulder of the M11 every night.. lol..

Comparing the US fuel prices to the UK's fuel prices is like comparing apples to oranges.

The economy is completely different.

Can someone from the UK quote the base minimum wage for a UK employee?

Also don't you get free health care over there? I may be mistaken but I thought I read an article that the higher fuel price's go to pay for your free health care. It may be Canada though I'm not sure.

the minimum wage over here is £5.35.. 10.6422 USD

from what i see here.. http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

its aroundabout $7 an hour average..

yes, we do have free health care over here.. but it is pathetic. the only way to get decent health care is private, i had my tonsils out recently, and if it wasnt for my company id be picking up a bill for well over £1500, thankfully ive taken out the private healthcare with work, and i only had to pay £150 as an excess

our tax and national insurance, which is a big chunk of our wages, should cover the national healthcare service. there is no reason why they should charge 60/70% on petrol as well..

umm...

actually what I was saying IS scrap road tax completly.

how do you make it fair that people who have smaller non-polluting cars that use less fuel get charged less?
how do you make it so the people who only use their car for an hour at the weekends don't pay so much?
how do you make sure the people with the largest polluting cars get charged the premium for their extra damage on the roads and extra effect on the environment,

quite easy, take the money from petrol!

and for those people who say that without road tax there would be no road repairs you;re 50 or more years out of date.

road tax used to be ring fenced to ensure that it was used for road repairs, however, we no longer have road tax, we have vehicle excise duty, and it all goes into a central pot.

the minimum wage over here is £5.35.. 10.6422 USD

from what i see here.. http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

its aroundabout $7 an hour average..

yes, we do have free health care over here.. but it is pathetic. the only way to get decent health care is private, i had my tonsils out recently, and if it wasnt for my company id be picking up a bill for well over £1500, thankfully ive taken out the private healthcare with work, and i only had to pay £150 as an excess

our tax and national insurance, which is a big chunk of our wages, should cover the national healthcare service. there is no reason why they should charge 60/70% on petrol as well..

But if you figure the wage difference in the UK $10 and USA $7 that means in the UK your averaging $120 more per work week.

Now stuff is priced different over there so really that extra $120 a week compared to the US minimum wage is offset.

Also even if your government provided free health care is poor its still less than what you'd pay without it. Non insured medical bills are extreme in the states. A simple procedure can run you upwards of 10K if your not insured.

I also have private health care through my job. My private health care costs me around $300 a year.

your private healthcare costs $300 a year, surely you mean a month?

here is a breakdown of an old payslip that I just happened to have in my bag.

gross income (before tax) £1666.67 [$3307]
PAYE TAX = £242.60 [$481]
National insurance £133.50 [$264]
student loan repayments £37 [$73]
total deductions 413.10 [$819] (about 25%)

last month I worked overtime, my gross beofre tax was something like £4000, total deductions were about £1500 (>25%) I paid something like £270 [$536] in national insurance.

you say that it's bad you're having to pay $300 a year in medical insurance, but in the UK most people pay more than that each month for natianalised healthcare.

on top of that there are also "employer contributions" to the national insurance, on that payslip the monthly contributions by the employer were £227 [$451]

so it might be that on average americans earn ~30% less per hour, but by that reckoning on healthcare alone, UK individuals pay 1200% more per year for healthcare.
around 200% more for petrol

you see where this is going.

^^ You gotta wonder where that money's going, especially the NI contributions; the NHS is a complete mess.

One thing I've noticed myself which is probably wrong... the US seems cheaper on the face of it, but your Average Joe American isn't actually all that wealthy at all, stuff is cheap because it has to be due to the weak dollar. I visited America in sumer '01 to visit relatives and in the rural Midwest everyone seems to be pretty poor, the houses are small, people weren't exactly wearing the latest Milan fashions and the cars were fairly average; despite everything being so damned cheap compared to here, people still couldn't always afford it.

British families apparently have more disposable income than Americans and are generally wealthy, but the downside here is that our Government rip us for everything we have and the prices on consumer goods are insane, with utilities likely going the same way. George Harrison ended up in the highest tax band and ended up writing the Beatles song "Taxman" about it.

yes...

I've noticed that the trend appears to be about a 1p rise per week over the past year.

and that seems to be accelerating now...

it's not good news.

Back
Top Bottom