Why is the screen so small on my Vista?

ghostFL

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I got a new laptop and vista, and the screen is a small as square, cutting off about an inch and a half on each side of the screen. I want to use the whole screen.

Any help?

Go to the desktop, right click, go to Nvidia Control Panel, Click Display, Click Change Resolution Attributes, Set to wanted resolution.

All there is is Right CLick > Personalize > Screen Settings or w/e. ANd the only 2 resolutions I have are 1024x768 and 800x600... Both are the same physical size...

Go to the desktop, right click, go to Nvidia Control Panel, Click Display, Click Change Resolution Attributes, Set to wanted resolution.
that would only work if his laptop had an N vidia chip and if he had the correct drivrers installed

@OP what is the make/model of laptop and have you got the latest graphics drivers for vista

Its a

HP Compaq 6510b business computer.

I'm pretty sure. But I'll double check.

Edit: *How do I update drivers in Vista? Goddddd I hate this Vista crappppp! Its all glitter and sprinkles!

I found this little tidbit:
SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER NOTICE

Document ID: c****9374

Version: 1
Unexpected Video Resolution Set Resuming From Hibernation
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.

Release Date: 2003-02-07

Last Updated: 2003-08-13
DESCRIPTION

If the notebook enters Critical Low-power Shutdown ( a forced excursion into Hibernation ) while Windows Media Player is set to full-screen playback mode, the notebook may resume from Hibernation with the Video Display resolution set, for example, to 640x480 resolution.

NOTE: Critical Low-power Shutdown occurs when the battery is depleted and Windows shuts down the system, entering Hibernation, to preserve data. Setting the threshold for this behavior is controlled by the Power Settings Control Panel Applet.
DETAILS

When performing full-screen display, Media Player changes the Video Display resolution, noting the resolution to restore when the playback is completed or Media Player is terminated. Because Media Player does not have the opportunity to restore the original Video Display upon resume from Hibernation, Windows asserts the resolution last set by Media Player.

To recover the normal Video Display resolution, simply terminate Media Player, which is suspended and idling after resuming from Hibernation.

Normally, HP recommends that the User stop playback or even terminate Media Player before entering Hibernation.

NOTE: This is not an HP-specific issue. This behavior affects ANY platform capable of Critical Low-power Shutdown under Windows.

Document ID: c****9374

For the life of me, I can't figure out why those numbers in the document ID are asterisked. . . HP must have some super secret encryption code.

Go to HP's website and look for drivers there. If you have a dedicated card, then go to the cardmaker's website and download the drivers. Make sure you select the one for your OS. Vista, then 32 or 64 bit. The driver file should be a binary .exe.

Back
Top Bottom