Nascar

Damn Kyle Bush won another one.
2141.gif

I beg to differ that NASCAR is using 1980'ds tech in the cars. The cars sponsored by the auto makers use the cars as testbeds for parts that will make thier way to consumer level use. What parts of a custom made F1 or FV car are being tested for general use?

sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Things that make NASCAR a physical activity:

No, but seriously, this is why NASCAR is not a sport: because it relies all on the equipment. If I were to get Ronaldinho's cleats, and he were to be barefoot, he'd still whoop me in a game of soccer. If I got Lebron's shoes, and he was barefoot, he'd also still whoop me in a game of basketball. However, if I had Tony Stewart's car, and he had my 94 Sable, he would NOT whoop me. In fact, theres a pretty good chance that I would win. Hence, NASCAR not being a sport. An activity, yes, but not a sport.

+1 for mentioning the greatest football player ever.

Rubens Barrichello is 36 I believe and he's the oldest driver in Formula 1 still racing. Currently drives for the Honda F1 Racing Team alongside Jenson Button.

I like how the names of the Brazilian athletes keep being mentioned =p

I beg to differ that NASCAR is using 1980'ds tech in the cars. The cars sponsored by the auto makers use the cars as testbeds for parts that will make thier way to consumer level use. What parts of a custom made F1 or FV car are being tested for general use?

No, the technology is there, but the sport itself is nothing compared to Formula 1. Not only the stresses on the drivers, but the technology involved.

Aerodynamics alone is crazy. F1 cars get so much downforce that they can get 3.5 g in corners because of downforce alone. Theoretically if they went fast enough, they could drive upside down due to all the downforce.

The engines are 2.4-litre V8's that are naturally aspirated and they rev up to 19,000 RPM, consume more than 650 litres of air per second and produce more than 700hp. It was even more back before 2005 in the 3.0-litre V10 era with cars producing more than 300hp/litre.

Then to slow the car down they use carbon composite disc brakes which are designed to heat up to 750 degrees Celsius. To make it even harder for the driver, ABS was banned in the 90's and it's not uncommon to see the occasional brake lock during a F1 GP.

Don't forget what the drivers go through too. When going through a corner at speed, you can experience up to 5 g (which is 5 times your weight). NASCAR drivers experience nothing compared to Formula 1 drivers. Ask Juan Pablo Montoya, a former F1 driver turned NASCAR driver.
al.com said:
Juan Pablo Montoya, Formula One driver turned NASCAR driver, is warning that Kyle Busch should not get too hopped up about testing an F1 car.

Montoya believes it will be impossible for Busch to go straight from racing predominantly on NASCAR's ovals to a "proper" Formula 1 test.

"The first problem is your neck. You need to train for months to be able to hold it up," he said.

"They give you a day or a half a day, but you're not going to do anything and nobody is going to look at you."

Montoya recalls his first Formula One test, when he was a full time hopeful racer in the Formula 1 support category at the time, F3000.

"I trained for two and a half months non-stop. I had equipment against a bed and I could move the bed with my head.

"When I went into a Formula One car, I couldn't do five laps in a row," he added.

http://blog.al.com/blogoftomorrow/2008/05/montoya_warns_kyle_busch_about.html

Yeah, I never liked him even when he was in Formula 1 either. What he says is from experience though. NASCAR is not even close to F1 as a sport. Even Indy Car and CART racing are nowhere near, despite the similar open-wheel racing arrangements of the car.

I would take nearly anything Montoya says about Kyle Bush's ability to drive an F1 car with a rather large grain of salt.

Even though they're not so stock any more, there's a reason they are called "stock cars". Your comparing F1 against NASCAR would be like me comparing NASCAR against Illmatic's '94 Sable.

That's fine that you find it boring. There are many who find it exciting and the races are consistently one of the top 5 most viewed sporting events on television.

Back
Top Bottom