Looking for help on upgrading my machine

Raytheon

Baseband Member
I currently have the machine in my sig, and I'm planning on upgrading it.

I was searching around newegg and found these two processors:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz ($329.99)
AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION 2.6GHz ($235.00)

I understand that if I go Intel, I'm gonna have to get a new mobo, but using the current one wouln't bottleneck an AM2+ cpu? I don't mind paying the extra money for the Intel one if it's really worh it. No idea what kind motherboards are great now, so I'm looking for help on that too.

What about the memory? I think maybe getting 4GB would be great, toughts?

As long as my card doesn't bottleneck the cpu, I don't plan on upgrading it, since I only play on my ps3 with an hd 40" screen nowadays when I have the time.

Thanks a bunch! :cool:

How much money are you willing to spend on this? I, personally, like Intel. I don't know much about AMD. I've seen some great boards for around $100 that you can get for a Yorkfield. Also, unless you're using Vista you don't need 4GB.

I have 600+ to put into this. I'm using XP right now, but since I readed Microsoft is not gonna be selling it anymore to retailers, I guess I need the upgrade to be up to date.

: Edit : Vista would not be part of my budget.

If you want to cough up that much go for it =p

Yes, there will be new CPUs coming out at the end of the year. The Nehalems if I'm not mistaken.

seeing as you've already got an AMD board i think u shud jus get the phoenom,

and if u were to get intel the comparible to that amd wud be the Q6600,

seeing as you've already got an AMD board i think u shud jus get the phoenom,

I agree with this. Seeing as you already have an AM25 board, you shouldn't waste money buying an Intel mobo, just make sure your board has a BIOS update to support the 9950.

The Phenom 9950 is generally faster than the Q6600, it's more comparable with the Q6700.

How much money are you willing to spend on this? I, personally, like Intel. I don't know much about AMD. I've seen some great boards for around $100 that you can get for a Yorkfield. Also, unless you're using Vista you don't need 4GB.

intels great if youve got money, AMD is a great value. intel is more durable (in most instances) and better built buit for budget, but you cannot beat an AMD for budget builders its the best!

Ace, no offense, I had to read your text 4 times to get what you were saying. You switched between Intel/AMD and I got confused. I've never tried AMD tbh. Should I go for it on my next build coming up at the end of the year? I'm in a tight budget.

OP, I guess I got out-voted. Go AMD like they suggest.

Back
Top Bottom