Drexler

Baseband Member
just finished my new pc.

Asus 560i sli MOBO

AMD 5600+ dual Core processor

Sparkle 8600 GT 1gb

2 GB ram

250 gb hdd

i relized that i had 2 much ram so i took a stick out.

now, once i loaded the win98 OS, it took me to a driver installing pg. then i got blue screened and shut off my pc.

i rebooted it, and let it run the scan disk, which took so long i went off and played WOW for three hours, coming up with a new idea on installing the 98 software, and finding out that it was still running :mad:.

so i did that, i CAN boot up in safe mode, but when i try the regular mode i get some kind of error and it shuts my pc off.

now after reading this your wondering why im trying to install 98

its because i have a XP upgrade disk and a original copy of 98, so install 98 and up to XP.

i did some digging in the manual for the MOBO and it said the only OS it supports in 2000, ME, and XP.

someone plz help.

i know i can remove my hard drive and using my other computer, install it on a compadble MOBO, but there is a chance of f-ing up my crappy PC and the new pc hard drive.

so any suggestions, i dont have any money

if you install it on one mobo, you cant change it to another mobo unless you reinstall the XP onto that mobo.
i dont think you can install 98 since your mobo doesnt support it. but couldnt you use the upgrade disc when booting up? or can you only do it on the desktop?
there is a way where you can get an XP for "free" but its kind of illegal, i can tell you the information on how to get it, just pm me, unless you already know.

Teny you really shouldn't be discussing getting pirated software here.

Win98 was not written for dual core processors. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

You don't need to install 98 first. If you boot from the XP Upgrade disc, enter setup, it will then say "no previos verion of windows found, please insert the cd", so you insert the 98 cd, it verifies it, you then put the XP disc back in and install.

or u can just put the hdd into another computer install 98 and then install xp and put the hdd back into the computer

but if vaio fxs idea works thats going to be much quicker

or u can just put the hdd into another computer install 98 and then install xp and put the hdd back into the computer

but if vaio fxs idea works thats going to be much quicker
that doesn't work. When you switch over to the other computer, the OS will crash because the hardware is so much different.

Like vaio-fx said, you can run the setup and then show the setup your CD and it will accept it.

ahh, but heres the thing, ive tried all of the options, pirated XP (gave me blue screen of death. anyone want to help me out there im all ears), im not taking out my HDD, to scared to f anything up, im on a budget, so if i blow my current comp, the the new builds HDD, im screwed.

ive heard of just sticking in the XP upgrade disk, all i get is a little flashing insert text line. so if there is anything im supposed to do to get the upgrade disk to work right, without any OS, please feel free to give tips.

oh, yeah, teh blue screen is pissing me off, is there any way to wipe my HDD though the BIOS.

thx

Back
Top Bottom