Fuel Prices in UK

I've never understood why we pay road tax...

I think that the road tax should be abolished, in favour of generating all road based revenues from petrol sales, cause then you do actually pay proportionatly for the amount fo road use you use.

americans have it easy, i tried the calulation once but i got cought out coz of the american vs english gallon, but it is much much cheaper in us than uk for petrol

Honestly I think it's bullshit anyway you slice it. Yeah, us americans have cheaper prices, but that doesn't mean it's a fair price. Everybody is getting screwed, it's just a matter of how screwed.

I think that the road tax should be abolished, in favour of generating all road based revenues from petrol sales, cause then you do actually pay proportionatly for the amount fo road use you use.

i agree with that or any other pay by usage scheme cos how is it fair somebody who uses their caar everyday to go to wortk should pay the same as say an old person who goes shopping in their car every weekend and thats it
only problem with any pay by usage scheme is they are difficult and expensive to actually implement

That sounds fair to me. I like to cycle to work so why should I pay £450 road tax for my car under the new scheme because it 'polutes more' when in reality a smaller car driven to work is worse for the environment.

It's BS. 2010 can't come soon enough, bye bye ZaNu-Labour, take your political correctness and extra benefits for terrorists immigrants with you, whilst giving us our tax money back having fleeced us for everything. Global fuel prices are rising, Gordon Brown's solution? Keep slapping tax on top, that'll make people very happy after all. Truckers especially love it because they love having to pay extra to drive around the UK trying to earn a living, it makes them ecstatically happy and a hike in fuel costs leaves them with a Caribbean holiday this year. I don't even own a car and I'm pissed off about it, the Government are far too keen on taxing honest, hard-working people to death so that they can give extra benefits and support to chavs who actively choose to do nothing. Sure, there are those who need it desperately but there are those who don't work because they'd rather claim benefits and be bone idle.

Where does our money go? The reason the UK economy's so screwed is because we've been living on credit for the past n years now.

if we did'nt pay road tax their would be no road repairs

we arent syaing scrap road tax but change the way peoople are charged , rather than just charging by engine size charge by how much people use the roads

Dont even get me started about the MP's second home thing that is utterly ridiculous how they get to furnish themselves a second home with luxury items from the "John Lewis" list whereas everyone else has no money because they are busy spending it on fuel so they can go earn a decent living ,
i am not saying the MP's should not have somewhere to stay whilst in london but i think that the houses of commons should just buy/build a large block of flats near the houses of parliaments furnish them out to a very basic minimum and let the MP's use them whilst they need a a place to stay in london would be much more cost effective than giving them nearly £30K a year for a luxury flat in london

I also think its stupid how my city manchester is now talking about implementing a congestion charge on top of the rising road tax and petrol prices i really hope the public vote no in the referendum because this wont just have effects for manchester but the rest of the country as once the two biggest cities take up a congestions charges others will sureley follow suit and the number of cities using a congestion charging system will rise and then you wont be able to drive anywhere without paying loads of money

Living in Manchester myself, and working for the city council, some of the arguments they have made could sound pretty reasonable.......I say pretty reasonable, but when it comes down to it, it is another tax, the councillors reasons for a referendum are so flawed because what they are saying is that if Manchester hold a vote and say yes, then every other authority has to go along with it.

Where I live, and I think it will go for you too Muz it will mean that if we drive our cars even a mile within the allocated time slots we will get charged, up to £5 a day, but this has no limits, see the london congestion charge.........although they say it does have a limit.

If I saw an improvement in public transport then I might be up for it, but I just know that it will be wasted on pointless and wasteful crap.....ah well time to say bye to the car I think

well i dunno how it works because according to the current propoesd boundaries i am just inside both the inner and outer one so i dont know if i will get charged ,and i agree if public transport was better i would be all for congestion charging but they are saying they can only improve public transport if we vote yes for a congestion charge which then leads the way for broken promises and missed targets but still implementation of a congestion charge

Back
Top Bottom