Need help for my dorm room

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Ok, for my dorm room next year I'm looking at doing a loft to get some extra room. Now my college does not provide anything for lofting, it's all buy/build/rent your own.

I haven't found anything that meets the requirements (http://www.msoe.edu/life_at_msoe/residence_life/construction.shtml) when looking at online stores.

I have yet to look far into the build my own option, but I'm hoping some of you older members might know something/some place that has lofts for a good price that can use the frame the bed is currently in.

Thanks for any help/pointers.

DIY FTW. Assuming you're somewhat handy with wood and tools, you can do it pretty easily. That way, it's custom tailored to your space and how you want it.

I'm not, but my dad is.

I'm considering talking to my friends dad, he's a wood worker... but I know he's real busy right now doing stuff for a current contract and don't know if he'd have the time.

If you could get a wood worker or contractor type guy to help you out, it'd be a breeze. There's probably a kit out there somewhere that would work, but doing it yourself could be a fun summer project if you have the time.

interesting. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard of a college being ok with such a thing (maybe canada's policies are different). If you have any sense of construction, build it yourself. That way you can build to how you want it. I think that would be important.

Lol honestly, All i want is something that can hold my bed, and have room for stuff underneath. Anything else is just a bonus.

If you're trying to make structural modifications to University accommodation you're given, I am honestly blown away at you actually being allowed to do that. Over here it's all building standards this, health and safety that. You're given your (rather nice) box for the year and that's your lot.

You're not modifying anything. All they're doing is basically turning their bed into a bunk bed without a bottom bunk. It's to save space in you're tiny dorm room. I know a lot of kids who have done this. I wish I had pictures of my cousin's dorm at Notre Dame, he and his roommate both have their beds up 18" from the ceiling, so they can fit desks, couches, a TV, a dresser, and more into a tiny space.

Sorta like this:
SamsBed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom