Vista Upgrade Question

charliewill

Beta member
I have a HP Compaq NX7400 with XP on it. I would like to start fresh and upgrade to Vista. If I were to purchase some edition of a Vista Upgrade, would I have the option to format the drive before I install it? Also, are the Vista upgrades like the XP upgrades - if no prior version of Windows is detected, you can insert the CD of a prior version of Windows?

vista is slightly different but you can do a clean install by installing it twice.

The first time do not insert the key code, this gives the 30 day trial install, next reinstall it but this time insert your key code.

The Vista installer will see the 30 day trial as a previous install and away you go

I'm unsure on the formatting as it has been a long time since I beta tested Vista, I "think" the format option is there, if not just use your XP disk to format.

vista is slightly different but you can do a clean install by installing it twice.

The first time do not insert the key code, this gives the 30 day trial install, next reinstall it but this time insert your key code.

The Vista installer will see the 30 day trial as a previous install and away you go

I'm unsure on the formatting as it has been a long time since I beta tested Vista, I "think" the format option is there, if not just use your XP disk to format.

pretty much what I was going to tell him to do. Here's a little more of a step by step for you though.

1. Boot to the vista install disk.
2. Leave the product key blank and hit next.
3. Repartition as necessary and format the partition you are putting vista on (yes, it is there)
4. Let the install run all the way through and you'll be booted into vista.
5. Once on the desktop, you can run the upgrade from the install disk.
6. Enter your product key this time and let the install run through....again.
7. Once back to the desktop with install completed install your drivers that were not found (if any) and start installing updates.

Back
Top Bottom