An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

The long long list of IPs you have. Unless you post at a lot of friends houses I'd agree with Chris.

i have a static ip trust me i always post at my girlfriedns house who has dynamic ip and on my phone and at my sis house,

im not sure how far your records go back and i dont know if you can check far back posts but this has been my ip for the last 6 months 78.86.142.4

ok this is only a few months back but remember this thread. http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=68950&highlight=metric+time

well at that time i setup metrictime.co.nr and pointed it to my ip address and have never changed it and if u goto, www.metrictime.co.nr it goes to my new website so thats a few months worth of proof, but if you look back further then you will deff see concistent posts from 78.86.142.4 althoug like i said i do post from alot of other paces

I joined another forum just the other day which turns out to have a massive community. Well, they're using an idea to make sure members who join that aren't legitimate and going to spam the hell out of the forums can't do it. At least not entirely. They use an initiation period where new members can only access a single initiation forum and cannot view or access the main forum. Members who wish to eventually fully join have to post introductory threads and whatever else before they are accepted by the moderators (by the mod's discretion) into the main forum.

I'm not saying we need to use this. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

edit - i suppose in our case, as I just realized, this wouldnt be fair to the people who just want to ask a question and leave. But ya, like i said, i only brought this up for discussion really.

Good idea, and no the people who just sign up for a question and then leave wouldn't have any trouble. The "introductory" forum could have a section just for those specific people. Just a thought.

i have a static ip trust me i always post at my girlfriedns house who has dynamic ip and on my phone and at my sis house,

im not sure how far your records go back and i dont know if you can check far back posts but this has been my ip for the last 6 months 78.86.142.4

ok this is only a few months back but remember this thread. http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=68950&highlight=metric+time

well at that time i setup metrictime.co.nr and pointed it to my ip address and have never changed it and if u goto, www.metrictime.co.nr it goes to my new website so thats a few months worth of proof, but if you look back further then you will deff see concistent posts from 78.86.142.4 althoug like i said i do post from alot of other paces

Just because you keep an IP for a while doesn't mean you have a static IP, I'm dynamic and if my router / modem / phone line stay fine, I will keep the same IP for months two. Posting from hundreds of IP's imply that it's dynamic, as well as the IP registration information and due to the fact you need to setup special options in the router for static IP addressing.

Static IP addressing is a pain, your ISP would have to tell you manually what IP to enter before getting access, and inform you on any DNS changes they do as well.

Just because you keep an IP for a while doesn't mean you have a static IP, I'm dynamic and if my router / modem / phone line stay fine, I will keep the same IP for months two. Posting from hundreds of IP's imply that it's dynamic, as well as the IP registration information and due to the fact you need to setup special options in the router for static IP addressing.

Static IP addressing is a pain, your ISP would have to tell you manually what IP to enter before getting access, and inform you on any DNS changes they do as well.

chris my friend the reason you say about setting up the router is the reason that also makes me think i have a static ip, they sent me the router out pre configured all i had to do was plug in a power cord and plug in the phone line and i was on the internet so they pre configed the ip and the username / password and everything, hey also said if i ever need to reset the router i need to phone them,

and u say if your router stays on i have had my router go off about 15 times since ive had it and the longest period was about 4 hours, "we was all sleeping and the electricity ran out lol"

and i still have the same ip.

ip.bmp

and the final thing to kick this off, check out be broadband "my isp" website https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do;

Features :
Up to 24 meg download speed
Up to 1.3 meg upload speed
Unlimited usage
Free wireless Be Box modem
1 Static IP free

check your website, its not working, at least for me. Might have changed ip's?

how about first post must either be in an introduction forum, or the general computer hardware and computer forum?

check your website, its not working, at least for me. Might have changed ip's?

how about first post must either be in an introduction forum, or the general computer hardware and computer forum?

ok my first post was a long itma ago ive switched providers since then,

the site wasnt workin last night i swicthed my comp off as the site is now moved to a hosting company, but it works when im on,

I joined another forum just the other day which turns out to have a massive community. Well, they're using an idea to make sure members who join that aren't legitimate and going to spam the hell out of the forums can't do it. At least not entirely. They use an initiation period where new members can only access a single initiation forum and cannot view or access the main forum. Members who wish to eventually fully join have to post introductory threads and whatever else before they are accepted by the moderators (by the mod's discretion) into the main forum.

I'm not saying we need to use this. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

edit - i suppose in our case, as I just realized, this wouldnt be fair to the people who just want to ask a question and leave. But ya, like i said, i only brought this up for discussion really.

Yous can also set up the forum to not allow a User's posts/threads to be seen immediately -- they'd need to be "approved" by a moderator before the general public can see them.

Back
Top Bottom