Vista 64 bit?

compguy91

Fully Optimized
I want to upgrade my laptop to the max 4GB RAM but I'm using Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I understand that 32 bit (with SP1) can recognize 4GB RAM but doesn't use it but 64 bit will recognize and use it. I have some questions about upgrading to 64 bit.
Should I do it? is it worth the upgrade to gain an additional 1.5GB RAM and would the performance gain upgrading from 2.5GB to 4GB be significant?
Also will my 32 bit programs run in vista 64 bit?

What are you doing that you need more that 2.5gb? Sorry, but most people asking this question really don't have a reason to have that much ram, especially on a laptop. I could understand a high end gaming system or if you do a lot of video editing, but if your doing it just to say you have the max I don't think it's worth it. I can't remember for sure, but I believe home premium x64 has a cap at 4gb (This may be set up similar to the cap on xp where it is for all memory in the system.) I know Home basic does, but I can't remember if premium was capped that low or if it was 8gb like business. Just make sure you do some research on that front so you don't screw yourself when you do upgrade.

here is to answer the above question or speculation.

Windows Vista 64bit Memory Supported:
Home Basic
8 GB

Home Premium
16 GB

Ultimate
128+ GB

Business
128+ GB

Enterprise
128+ GB

ahh, sweet, I looked briefly for it and couldn't find. Somehow I though I heard they were lower than that, oh well. Rep for you.

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about upgrading my laptop to 3GB RAM but I don't know if there will be much of an increase from 2.5GB so I thought about upgrading to 4GB. I think I'll just wait since there really isn't any reason for me to have 4GB RAM since I'm not doing anything that would require that much RAM. It would probably be better to go 64-bit with 4GB RAM for a higher end machine.

ahh, sweet, I looked briefly for it and couldn't find. Somehow I though I heard they were lower than that, oh well. Rep for you.

thank you :)...yeah i had to do a little research before i ended up finding it...but infact...i got it on the microsoft website. Well all in all...question has been answered so we're all happy :D. Ty for REP :D

Back
Top Bottom