DVD wont burn...

Luigitendo

Baseband Member
I have a question (Vista premium, Dell Inspiron 1721-windows DVD maker)

I try making a DVD, with the program, all files and stuff work just fine, but when i hit burn it says "Please insert a blank DVDR or DVDRW) and i have some sony DVDRs that i am trying to record on. they are blank i checked, but it will not record onto them...however on my sisters laptop *Inspiron 1520-21 i think it is* the DVD is read as blank and can be recorded onto...

So my questions are...
1. is it my computer? is something wrong with it? or is it just not compatible with writing on those DVDs. *The same Dvd DOES work on the other inspiron*

2. is there a program i can download that will allow the laptop to burn onto the disc? (Maybe a patch or plugin or something)

Thanks for your help and time

LT

I had this problem after I re-formatted once, and this took care of it.

You need to do this VERY carefully or it could screw up your computer.

Go to the registry editor (In Vista, just type regedit in the search bar.). There, expand "My Computer" in the left pane. Then expand System, and then CurrentControlSet. Expand Control and Class. In Class, look for this registry key: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Make absolute sure you have that key.

Then in the right pane delete the entries called UpperFilers and LowerFilters. DO NOT DELETE IT IF IT CONTAINS .BAK

There may or may not be one of the filters. My computer only had LowerFilters, so I deleted that, and it worked. If yours only has one of the filters, just delete it.

If my directions seemed hard to understand, then check the support site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Hope this helps!

Hey! thanks for the tips! I am using them currently but i cant find the "System" file to expand, i see hundreds of "System..." files to be expanded but not the one with currentcontrolset. Where do i look?

Click the Start button, and in the Start Search field, type regedit and then press the Enter key.

1. If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.
2. In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
3. In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, double-click the System folder.
4. In the System folder, double-click the CurrentControlSet folder.
5. In the CurrentControlSet folder, double-click the Control folder.
6. In the Control folder, double-click the Class folder.
7. In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
8. In the right pane, click to select the UpperFilters registry value.
9. On the menu bar, click Edit.
10. In the Edit menu, click Delete.
11. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
12. In the right pane, click to select the LowerFilters registry value.
13. On the menu bar, click Edit.
14. In the Edit menu, click Delete.
15. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
16. In the Registry Editor window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
17. Restart the computer.

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogggggggggggggggggggggggggglllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ok i found the file and deleted it, restarted the computer, all is done as mentioned, but it still insists i need a blank DVD in (E: )

:(

Ok i tried that then, and it just says "insert blank disk" again, the disc is indeed blank as noted on the other inspiron, but its still reading as blank.

i tried 4 other dvds too..

I think I found your problem.

You computer can not burn anything. It can only read.

It says so on CNET- http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-1721/4507-3121_7-32471369.html?tag=sub

The other computer however can support DVD+-RW.

I don't know what to tell you other than get an external DVD burner or even a new internal one, unless you want to keep borowing your sisters laptop.

EDIT--- On second thought, it appears there are two versions of the 1721. One that has a DVD+-RW burner, one that only has a reader. Do you know what one you have? I think it's the one with the reader only.

Back
Top Bottom