PSU requirement for HD4870?

Marshillboy

In Runtime
So, my friend has one of these for a psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

Unfortunately, he wants to buy an hd4870 and that requires 2x6 pin pci-express connectors which the psu doesn't have. If we used a molex to 6 pin adaptor for the second connector, would his PSU be able to handle that kind of load? The rail amperage is sufficient and I used a wattage calculator to be sure that the system wattage is sufficient as well.

You could use a Molex adaptor.

However I would go for a beefier PSU.

Although it depends on the rest of the system.

When you have many HD's, Optical Drives, Performance RAM, etc, you need to account for these items too.

Unfortunately, he wants to buy an hd4870 and that requires 2x6 pin pci-express connectors which the psu doesn't have. If we used a molex to 6 pin adaptor for the second connector, would his PSU be able to handle that kind of load? The rail amperage is sufficient and I used a wattage calculator to be sure that the system wattage is sufficient as well.
What are his other specs?

It would handle the card fine with 1x6pin + 2xmolex->6pin.

The HD 4870 requires at least a 500W power supply. He's going to need a more powerful PSU if he wants to run the 4870.

I personnally think it would run fine. But we need to know some specs of his other components. His PSU does have dual 12V rails, both rated for 17A, which definitely isn't bad.

AMD state that the 4870's TDP is 160W, and that's the absolute max, chances are, it will never consume 160W.

And bear in mind, that when they say 500W recommended, they have to factor in all the shitty PSUs too.

He's got nothing to lose trying to run it one his current PSU.

My friend's system is as follows:

1 x 23cm fan
3-4 x 80mm LED fans
The aforementioned PSU
Some type of Gigabyte mobo (AM2+ compatible)
AMD AM2 6000+x2 CPU
2 x Sticks of 1GB DDR2 memory
IDE CD drive
Seagate 120GB HD

My friend's system is as follows:

1 x 23cm fan
3-4 x 80mm LED fans
The aforementioned PSU
Some type of Gigabyte mobo (AM2+ compatible)
AMD AM2 6000+x2 CPU
2 x Sticks of 1GB DDR2 memory
IDE CD drive
Seagate 120GB HD

Like I said, he can always try it, he's got nothing to lose.

I personnally think it would run fine. But we need to know some specs of his other components. His PSU does have dual 12V rails, both rated for 17A, which definitely isn't bad.

AMD state that the 4870's TDP is 160W, and that's the absolute max, chances are, it will never consume 160W.

And bear in mind, that when they say 500W recommended, they have to factor in all the shitty PSUs too.

He's got nothing to lose trying to run it one his current PSU.

from what I've read, it's actually better to have one beefy 12v rail like the corsair in the above link, less lost/trapped voltage from 1 beefy rail than splitting it up into two...

Back
Top Bottom