What do you guys think of the new Pound Sterling coin designs?

I still can't believe you guys put "In God We Trust" on your currency. Complete violation of your beautiful Constitution and 1st Amendment.

Yeah, but we never specified which god. Think about it, "Allah" is the Arabic word for "God"....

But your right. Our government is such a hypocritical thing...

Yeah, but we never specified which god. Think about it, "Allah" is the Arabic word for "God"....

But your right. Our government is such a hypocritical thing...

True, but there are non-religious people in your country to, and Buddhists, which is an atheistic religion. But I don't want this to turn into a religion thread. Those never go well.

I still can't believe you guys put "In God We Trust" on your currency. Complete violation of your beautiful Constitution and 1st Amendment.
1. It's not a violation of the Constitution and the 1st Amendment.

2. The Federal Reserve isn't run by the United States government.

1. It's not a violation of the Constitution and the 1st Amendment.

2. The Federal Reserve isn't run by the United States government.

"In God We Trust" become your National Motto in 1956 when Congress passed the Act. This is a violation of the Establishment Clause:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

I'm well aware that lawsuits have found that the motto is constitutional, but the rationale of the cases are laughable.

"In God We Trust" become your National Motto in 1956 when Congress passed the Act. This is a violation of the Establishment Clause:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

I'm well aware that lawsuits have found that the motto is constitutional, but the rationale of the cases are laughable.
Really? A motto is a law? Since when?

Really? A motto is a law? Since when?

Since they passed the law? What kind of stupid question is that?

A law was passed by the 84th United States Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956. President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved a joint resolution declaring In God We Trust the national motto of the United States.[1] The same Congress had required, in the previous year, that the words appear on all currency, as a Cold War measure: "In these days when imperialistic and materialistic Communism seeks to attack and destroy freedom, it is proper" to "remind all of us of this self-evident truth" that "as long as this country trusts in God, it will prevail."

How does the phrase "In God we trust" establish a religion or prohibit the free exercise thereof?

"Today, the motto is a source of some heated contention. Opponents of the phrase argue that the First Amendment and the "wall of separation between church and state" require that the motto be removed from all governmental use, including on coins and paper money. They argue that religious freedom includes the right not to believe in the existence of deities and that the gratuitous use of the motto infringes upon the religious rights of those whose beliefs do not include a god. Some activists have been known to cross out the motto on paper money as a form of protest."

Ultimately it comes down to how the Constitution is interpreted. However, for a secular country to have that as a National Motto is, in my opinion, absurd. As is having "under God" in your pledge. Your Founding Fathers would be horrified.

LOL! There is no "wall of separation between church and state". It's nowhere to be found in the Constitution nor Bill of Rights.

But yet, you still have not answered my question.

LOL! There is no "wall of separation between church and state". It's nowhere to be found in the Constitution nor Bill of Rights.

But yet, you still have not answered my question.

Perhaps this will answer your question:

http://www.atheists.org/public.square/coins.html#conclusion

"It is our position that the inclusion of that motto on coins and currency violates the Free Speech, Free Exercise and Establishment clauses of the First Amendment and the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States in that it is a religious phrase showing that the government has selected and established a particular monotheistic type of religion. Atheists, as other citizens, must carry with them at all times and "present" this religious slogan, presumably as their own, every time they purchase with cash. It, therefore, violates the Free Exercise clause."

EDIT

Also:

"Law 36 U.S.C. 186, titled "National Motto," states in its entirety: "The national motto of the United States is declared to be 'In God We Trust.' This law, (1) has no clear secular purpose, (2) advances religion, and (3) entangles government with religion excessively, thereby failing all three tests for constitutionality under the Establishment Clause."

Back
Top Bottom