Nagging store clerks

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
One thing that I've noticed in the US a lot since I've been here compared to home is how much employees at stores/malls/kiosks nag. This isn't a rant against the US or anything since it definitely happens too much in Canada *cough*ebgames and canadian tire*cough* as well and maybe it's because I'm from a rural province but I've been asked to apply for credit cards from at least 25 stores, asked to sign up for rewards cards from even more, asked if I want to try this, if I need something, if I want to "save 5% on my next purchase by ....", asked if I want to participate in x survey, asked if I want to try some lotion that'll make me look 20 years younger (I'm not even 20), asked if I want to buy 2 more things and save extra, asked if I'm interested in this "free" offer, in downtown areas of city asked if I want to buy this/that and the list goes on.

I know in stores saying hi and asking if you need help or whatever is polite but after a while, the constant nagging gets annoying. No, I don't want to look 20 years younger. No, I don't care if I can save 15% on my next purchase if I sign up for a credit card that I can't get anyway since I'm not a resident of the US and no I don't want to try your soothing handsoap. I really don't.

Apparently in Old Navy if the employee doesn't ask you if you want to get an Old Navy credit card, you can ask the manager for a $5 gift card. I don't mind getting a gift card but that means every single time I go to that store I'm going to be nagged into getting one... thankfully I shop at Old Navy no more than once a year.

I just want to shop/walk/bike/ride in peace. :/

All experiences from the eastern us... VA/DC/MD/DE/NJ/PA/NY

That a list of the states you went to or something? If so, then whereabouts in WV did you go?

And, yeah, all stores down here have a habit of asking you if you want one of their credit cards. Almost all stores down here like the corporate owned ones (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc...) have booths set up asking you if you want a free sample of their product or something. It really gets annoying. And the incentives for some of these programs just want to make me sick. At our local Wal-Mart, if you sign up for a credit card, you get a free 2-liter of soda. Who wants something that costs 2 dollars for free, when the card could end up costing you hundreds of dollars in the long run? But they do also enter you in a drawing for a free 42" LCD HD Widescreen TV (with your consent, of course).

The US is a great country, but it's just that everything is getting to be corporate owned. I don't like it. Sure, it makes a lot of things cheaper, but it also drives the small town mom-and-pop stores out of business....

I know it may be rude, but I ignore and keep walking. I'm usually too busy to be stopping and telling people that I'm not interested.

That a list of the states you went to or something? If so, then whereabouts in WV did you go?

And, yeah, all stores down here have a habit of asking you if you want one of their credit cards. Almost all stores down here like the corporate owned ones (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc...) have booths set up asking you if you want a free sample of their product or something. It really gets annoying. And the incentives for some of these programs just want to make me sick. At our local Wal-Mart, if you sign up for a credit card, you get a free 2-liter of soda. Who wants something that costs 2 dollars for free, when the card could end up costing you hundreds of dollars in the long run? But they do also enter you in a drawing for a free 42" LCD HD Widescreen TV (with your consent, of course).

The US is a great country, but it's just that everything is getting to be corporate owned. I don't like it. Sure, it makes a lot of things cheaper, but it also drives the small town mom-and-pop stores out of business....
I have no clue how WV got there... I must be real tired since I haven't been to west virginia, and yeah, those are the states I've visited. Closest I've been to West Virginia is Virginia. :p

I'm usually okay with it all, but there was one this dude the other day, he was old and had no idea what was going on. But my girlfriend and I met her parents in the next town over for dinner, but we all had to meet at sears to buy some tools. Her dad and I knew exactly what we needed, but this old dude kept following us aroung suggesting completely unneeded things. I had to correct him also several times between metric and standard.

Was nuts, people like that irritate me.

At least it was trying though.

Yeah people in wisconsin never do that. either were too drunk or too hungover to care

As you mentioned, they're required to do this by their employers. Sometimes NOT doing it will result in a negative for them, but for every single card/membership/sale they convince u to do, they get bigtime perks.

At Circuit City, if the cashier convinces you to buy an extended warranty, they get a nice % of the entire order.

I hate store employees who walk over to you and ask you if you need any help. My answer is 99.9% of the time "no" and it really pisses me off. My attitude is that if I want help I'll come and ask you for it, not the other way round.

The Post Office over here is running a promotion to try and sign loads of people up for their savings accounts etc. I handed in a Premium Bonds slip and the cashier says "Are you interested in X, Y, Z... my colleague will talk to you over there". Colleague talks to me, gives me a load of fliers and her business card. Luckily I had to go home to let the gasman in so I had a legitimate excuse to leave, but the cheek of it. I'll ask and I'll sign up if I'm interested (which in this case I might be, the rates look kind of reasonable) but it's bad customer service to press-gang people.

I hate store employees who walk over to you and ask you if you need any help. My answer is 99.9% of the time "no" and it really pisses me off. My attitude is that if I want help I'll come and ask you for it, not the other way round.

The Post Office over here is running a promotion to try and sign loads of people up for their savings accounts etc. I handed in a Premium Bonds slip and the cashier says "Are you interested in X, Y, Z... my colleague will talk to you over there". Colleague talks to me, gives me a load of fliers and her business card. Luckily I had to go home to let the gasman in so I had a legitimate excuse to leave, but the cheek of it. I'll ask and I'll sign up if I'm interested (which in this case I might be, the rates look kind of reasonable) but it's bad customer service to press-gang people.

Yep and when do actually want someone to help you they can't be found or are busy harassing other customers!!

Went to PC World the other day, to buy a cross over cable, connect up xbox to pc directly. The bloke kept saying, nope need an CAT5 cable, I said yeah if I wanted to connect it through the router....his response, well they are both the same cables....

In the end I got so pissed off, just looked at him grabbed the cable and walked away.......

Back
Top Bottom