Build me a Rack Server!

J03

~~~~~~~~
OK, So my friends Dad has just built a new house, with a SERVER ROOM in it. He wants me to build him a Rack Server, But i'd like someone to have a look at what i'm thinking before i order the parts, ETC.

I've not made a parts list yet, but i was thinking:

• A Lower-End Dual Core Xeon
  • 2+ GB Ram
  • x2 500GB Hard Drives (Raid1, maybe?)

I know a fair amount of info about computer components, however i have never built a rack server. Can you make me a parts list, and keep in mind that the server will be used for: Some Media streaming, Centralized file storage, and POSSIBLY an Active Directory server (Not sure yet...)

Please don't just choose the most expensive parts you can find, as we dont want TOTAL overkill (some is OK though :D)

Keep in mind that i will need to order the part's from a UK website, and that we'd rather build it ourselves than buy from Dell, or HP etc.

EDIT:

OK, I'm thinking maybe a Standard/Non-Rack server. How about this:

Can you also advise me on the Processor capability with that motherboard - I've read that it is supported, but i wanna be sure. Also, if any of you have a newer Xeon processor, can you tell me what motherboard your using?

As you can see, i've chosen Windows Home Server.... If i dont use Active Directory, would it be easier to set up and maintain, over server 2003/8?

Thanks,

J03

Thanks for that! Also, could somone do the same, but for a standard, non-rack server?

Thanks Guys!

JO3, the website zKilla linked you, newegg, does not deliver to UK. Use the parts he recommended with a UK website. Sorry if you already know this, I'm just making sure.

JO3, the website zKilla linked you, newegg, does not deliver to UK. Use the parts he recommended with a UK website. Sorry if you already know this, I'm just making sure.

Yeah, I noticed that :). Thanks anyway though! Right, So right now i'm thinking maybe NOT to have a rackserver, but just a standard one. If we where planning on having multiple servers, a rack would be the way forwards - but we're not, so it's all good.

If i'm not going to be using Active Directory, then how would Windows Home Server fair? I've not used it, but i'm thinking it might be easier to manage/configure.

Thanks

j03

Yeah, I noticed that :). Thanks anyway though! Right, So right now i'm thinking maybe NOT to have a rackserver, but just a standard one. If we where planning on having multiple servers, a rack would be the way forwards - but we're not, so it's all good.

If i'm not going to be using Active Directory, then how would Windows Home Server fair? I've not used it, but i'm thinking it might be easier to manage/configure.

Thanks

j03

ok your build in post 1 looks good, i see nothing wrong with it except im a little confused @ 16 X 0.5m cables ?

but yh all parts seem good and i think your wise to stay away from a rack server there over rated jus a normal box will do.

and its wouldnt be etirely neccessary to go with server parts how cool cpu's run nowa days it might be worth looking @ a low end c2d that way u have better compatability with the motherboard and but a good hs&f and it will be absolutely fine.

no you can post again 24 hours later i believe or on the next day. shh i didnt say that. i well uh. you know. what!!!!

Back
Top Bottom