my day yesterday.....

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
So yesterday was great... Setup for a concert in the morning, sound checked the rhythm section at noon, played Frisbee for 3 hours, then sound checked everything else and had dinner.... Then we played the concert. Played the concert at 7:00, got through EVERY song in 2.5 hrs, played all 33 of them (last year we had to cut some so the timing would work... read on...)

First act wasn't the best, but it was good. I played one song, but I think I pulled a calf playing it or something.... Had a 10 minute break, enough time to say hi to friends and try to stretch the calf. I started the second half. Played 3 songs this half, and had the third last one (which is cool because none of my songs are really that good). The crowd got a lot bigger... we went from about 10,000 for the first act to 50,000 (no including the people that were not watching, but listening in a .5 mile radius.... we are freaking loud. for the end of the second, so I was one of the two drummers that most people saw. Then, we were told that we would add another song before the last to add a little time for fireworks. Okay, but I don't play anything on that song. Well, I guess I heard wrong, or something happened that we didn't add another song, but I figured out fast enough. So that was fun, and then we of course, being drummers, thrashed everywhere on stage. I was on the acoustic riser (and getting poked with bows of people who don't know you are there kinda hurt, but how they can't feel the whole riser moving is beyond me. So we are playing, end of song, its one of those dramatic noise making things, so I go to jump down from the cello and violas to the violins... too bad I moved the riser too much (which wouldn't have happened if the risers got locked) and I fell between them.... but I only cut my knee, and I got back up and rocked out..

So we end, right as the fireworks started (perfect timing this year, unlike last year) we watched fireworks and ate a ton of food. We then had to strike everything, took us a mere 1.5hrs to get everything.

We go back to the high school to put everything away. Took a mere hour, and we had fun.

Then afterward, at like 12:30, we went out to eat, and we were out until 2:30 with a ton of people, including past members, so it was pretty good.

Got home, and collapsed in bed.

oh, and some other random things I forgot:

In our version of sweet home Alabama, we have a 5 count right after the lines "in Birmingham they love the gov'nor" and the new kid drumming came in a beat early. pretty funny. Then he forgot the ending, and no one would tell him it. He messed that up as well.

We lost lights around Tom Sawyer, and didn't get them back until I feel good, a whole 4 songs later. I have no clue went wrong, but I was kinda pissed that they had no clue how to fix them (I think someone accidentally pulled the plug, or a cord shorted tripping a breaker, because a few kept going on then right back off when they were fixing them)

so yeah, it was a fun day.... but now it sucks because I have nothing to do for a few months, the seniors are gone, and I have no contact with a few of the people in the group until I see them again.

Oh wow. Long day eh? I don't know any of those terms lol. So I just tried to go by context. Seems like you had tons of fun.

Oh wow. Long day eh? I don't know any of those terms lol. So I just tried to go by context. Seems like you had tons of fun.

yea... we were hoping for something more dangerous for this year's epic failure, but seeing the light man running around was pretty funny. And so was our face making contest... and me falling....

That reminds me of the time where we had a guest speaker at our school. He was giving a speech over shootings and stuff (his son had died 5 months prior to the speech). We were at the auditorium and it was the junior, sophomore, and freshmen class together (the seniors were at the Gym A as we cannot all fit into the auditorium; damn freshmen class is huge). They had a laptop hooked up to a projector and they guy was running his PP out of a CD. Well, the laptop kept shutting down (I was kind of hoping it would get a BSOD, would have been funny). Anyways, it kept shutting down, the the Tech Support guy (at our school it is student based, I wasn't in it as it didn't fit my schedule) kept running back and forth. He had to run down at least 5 times. In the end, he got more claps than the speaker lol.

I just remembered another funny one. WE had a long dramatic pause at the end of I feel good, so the lead viper (electric violin) player just stood there and yelled "Hows the weather back there" because the crowd was so freaking huge.

I'm sorry but I could not understand any of your first post...

dude.... I made it into paragraphs.... w/e just do me a favor if you ever have to read the book "as I lay dying" don't even open it because its written in much the same style.

but here is the gist (again, its bad quality):
2008-07-07-58220.jpg

here it is before I washed it up (as in what people saw right after it happened and what I had to deal with while I striked (packed up) stage and put everything away. (enhanced with paint):
2008-07-07-58220b.jpg

the moral of the story?
LOCK YOUR RISERS

Back
Top Bottom