Question!! PCI-E x1

My dad ended up not letting me upgrade my dell. He said it would be fine if I bought RAM and a video card though. Is buying a video card for PCIEx1 the same as burning money or what? And why is the spot for it tiny?

it will make your pc more enhanced if you get pci - e, its just better for games and such, if your dad is dong business then i suggest he just keep it how it is.

By the choices there are on Newegg (3 of them) I'd say it would be burning money... I think you should save up money for a new system, sell the Dell, then build a new system for yourself that will be better than upgrading the Dell anyway.

if you polish a turd
it is still a turd
build a new one
a better one
we have the technology!
its called your hands

My dad ended up not letting me upgrade my dell. He said it would be fine if I bought RAM and a video card though. Is buying a video card for PCIEx1 the same as burning money or what? And why is the spot for it tiny?

PCIEx1 Is only for sound card,and modem/ethernet cards....

PCIE Is the size of normal PCI slot,and PCIE 2.0 looks the same,just a higher bandwidth (So it's quicker).

usually a motherboard will have a PCI-Ex16 slot or an AGP slot, find out what your computer has, if you don't want to open the case and physically find the model number on the motherboard, just download PCWizard or Everest and it should tell you the make and model number of your mobo...

yea i find it hard to beleve the 1x is always above/below a 16x id be shocked if there wasn't one. and can you update the mobo? if you don't have that like you said you can always upgrade the mobo and gfx card to something better and more ram always helps to.

yea i find it hard to beleve the 1x is always above/below a 16x id be shocked if there wasn't one. and can you update the mobo? if you don't have that like you said you can always upgrade the mobo and gfx card to something better and more ram always helps to.

he already stated that dad said only the video card and memory, not a complete upgrade...

If I were to do an upgrade it would be at the end of the year. Because I won't do much gaming this year I don't need something massive. I could do a small upgrade until next summer. Get a C2D, video card, and RAM. I think he would agree to that.

edit: WTF!?? I was looiking at the motherboard in my Dell. It supports 1 fan...and that's the 120mm or whatever that comes in the front. I think saving up for a new rig is the best choice. Thanks for the help.

Also, if anoyone could help me: The internet connection is supposed to be identified automatically, but it didn't. I've tried setting up one but that also didn't work. I don't know what to do. I'm using the motherboard port. I have a dedicated card, but I need to get drivers still. If you're wondering how I'm posting, I'm using my PS3. Plugged in a keyboard. My brother is being a little butt and won't let me use the laptop I just traded him...I got ripped off as far as performance, but I wanted the 22" Samsung monitor.

Back
Top Bottom