Taught myself PHP

colorblindjimbo

In Runtime
So, as a summer project I decided to teach myself php. This was about 3 weeks ago, and I think I've gotten pretty far. Also, about 1/2way through, I found out that I didn't really know alot of CSS, so I taught myself that. Then came MySQL, that was fairly simple.

All I can say is that now I completely understand the power of web programming, its almost endless the possibilities.

Take a look at my site so far, I think I've done a pretty decent job. If you see anything that I should really fix please let me know, and I'll see if I can figure it out (tips are more than welcome as well).

http://www.localspad.com

Note: this is not an attempt to advertise my site. It happens to have a forum on it (that I programmed myself from scratch), which is one of the main things I wanted to highlight in this post.

Feedback would be wonderful. Also, thank you to everyone here who has given me help so far, it's been very appreciated.

P.S looks fine in IE, but it looks much better in FireFox. I still gotta figure out how to fix that...

the forum looks pretty basic, but is a great achievement, I've done soem forums making work myself and know that it can be difficult.

the only critisism I have would be that the cells that say Author, Title and Date posted are very big, I think that reducing the text on these cells would shrink them, they are currently bigger than the actual posts in the forum.

other than that the site is very good and looks quite professional.

I think its pretty cool for coding it yourself !! I agree with the other poster, drop the font size a bit on the headings.

cool site.:)

Nicely done. I'm not into much web programming so I don't have any technical tips. Looks great though! I also agree. Make the fonts smaller.

Wow thats really good, may I asked what you used to learn? I have been trying some online tutorials but having problems. Any suggestions on how to learn it?
-Thanks

Looks good i wonna learn php mainly to create a guest book it would be great if you could help me along. Ill talk more in the morning

Looks good i wonna learn php mainly to create a guest book it would be great if you could help me along. Ill talk more in the morning

Do you know HTML? A little javascript? PHP will be easy once you get those under your belt.

For a guest book, you'd only need 2 pages, one to display all the records from the DB, and another to insert records.

Do you know HTML? A little javascript? PHP will be easy once you get those under your belt.

For a guest book, you'd only need 2 pages, one to display all the records from the DB, and another to insert records.

i know html id say quiet fluently javascript im still edgy aboutbut heres the site i need the guestbook for,

http://ben-jordan.co.uk/

i really hus want a way of saying,

click.submit write="text.comments" to post.txt

and on the next page, read="post.txt" and enter the comments written earlier.

ive been looking abit at reading and writing .txt file in php but its still alittle above me at the moment

Back
Top Bottom