Need opinion: PSU

I recently created many threads about upgrading my dell. I don't regret it, as it will help make me the best possible decision out there. Now, I want to get a double check on the PSU that I will be ordering. I won't do a check on the case because however many opinions I get, it's really something personal that can vary with each purchase.

Well when my upgrade is complete it will look something like this:

-CPU - OC'ed C2D/Dual-Core
-GPU - HD2600 PRO (maybe better)
-MOBO - Most likely a Intel G31 (Gigabyte)
-RAM - 2GB (I'll be running XP Home)
-80 GB HDD (Stock from Dell)
-DVD/CD Reader (Stock from Dell)
-4/5 80mm Fans (1 intake, 1 outtake, 2/3 managing the air inside)

So, I've heard good stuff about FSP, but I have no clue about PSUs. DJ Chris gave me a hand with this pick, but I want even more opinions.

...And I forgot the link. Here it is.

If it's no good, help me pick out a better one for the same price or lower.

FSP makes a very good power supply for the money. They are very reliable.

Right now, the best bang for your buck for an average system is the SILVERSTONE ST400 400W for $46.99. It has slightly less wattage, but it makes up for it with strong dual 12V rails supplying 18A each.

Another good choice would be an OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W for $59.99 ($29.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)

All three will be more than enough to power your system while supplying strong, reliable power. It just really boils down to how much you want to spend.

I'm down wit that OCZ. Would you recommend it over the Silverstone? I mean, think of it as if it were your own PC, which one would you take?

No, you wouldn't need a 600W PSU. It's just that the ATI video cards require at least a 450W PSU to operate properly along with the rest of the computer components.

I see. Well. I'll go with that then. Let me update my cart and get my total. Maybe I can squeeze in some money. Although it will be more expensive. You think it would be ok for me to rely on the MIR? I heard of some cases where people didn't get theirs.

OCZ is pretty good with their rebates. It may take a while, but you should get it.

Better act fast though, today is the last day to be eligible for the rebate. The rebate is good for purchases from 6/26/08 to 7/3/08. :D

Oh shit! I better get it then.

edit: What time do they go by? It could be over already.

edit2: it will fit in this case fine right? I need to know so I can order.

edit3: All this trouble and my dad is not letting me buy...he wants me to wait more so I can get all pieces.

edit: It goes by date, probably midnight tonight.

edit2: Yes, it will fit that case.

edit3: Bummer.

But it's still a good deal even without the rebate.

Back
Top Bottom