would this work????

amp27

Daemon Poster
instead of having a power cord for my dsl box. here what i was going to do.

well i put my dsl box in my computer(cause it fits, thats why)and i have all my cords running to the ports and a phone line runnin into it.

well i could run a power cord into it but that wastes outlets.

heres the idea. mod the computer power supplie cable and run them to the dsl box. my dsl box takes 12volts dc power and thats what the psu suppiles.

the power cord for it says it takes in 110volt. like they all do:D . and the out put is 12 volt dc at 600ma. so the dsx box will only pull the watts it needs right?

so now i have even more hardware in my computer:) . lol:D . and more heat:(

It will work as long as you power the DSL box with a 12V supply. So you could use the yellow(+12V) and the black lead from a Molex connector to power the DSL box.

And it will only draw 0.6A from the PSU not any more because it doesn't require it.

Let me know how you get on.

ok thanks i now what i need to cut and do so just didn't want to over power my dsl. lol. and i dont have the power cord anymore so i have to do this. do you think i could turn it on and off(the dsl)while the computer is running. or will the surge trip? it is only half an amp

ok thanks i now what i need to cut and do so just didn't want to over power my dsl. lol. and i dont have the power cord anymore so i have to do this. do you think i could turn it on and off(the dsl)while the computer is running. or will the surge trip? it is only half an amp

um, no you don't, you could just buy another power cord...

:confused: :confused: :confused: ...

putting that in your pc is the stupidest thing ever, the heat will just break it and bugger it up, not just that, you have lots of air holes on your dsl modem box, thats for air to flow, now if you put it in your pc its just gonner not happen well, and after a certain ammount of time i can bet you $10000000 trollion billion it will go bust.

wow, I really don't understand why you would want to do this. It really makes no sense......and for once I have to say I agree with Antdemo, I wouldn't count on it lasting long with all that heat.

putting your dsl box inside your computer?? thats the strangest thing ive ever heard of doing

And there is really no harm in what you propose.

Yes it does generate heat but not that much to cause damage to your computer.

As I said before as long as you power it with the 12V supply you have nothing to worry about and turning of the PC will turn off the DSL box as well.

Simple.

no one is saying it will damage the computer, we're saying if it doesn't get enough ventilation it will damage the modem.

Back
Top Bottom