a memory question...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
this looks like a pretty good deal for $300, a case and motherboard, pentium D processor (blech, but you could just substitute a better cpu), psu, dvd burner, 500GB hdd, and this is the kicker, 3GB 667mhz DDR2, wtf...? why 3...? why not 2GB...? wouldn't it be better to just include 2GB in this deal so it could run in dual channel...? or will this 3GB (2GB + 1Gb) kit run in dual channel somehow...?

$300, not bad imo

That would run in single channel mode. As far as I know, the modules on the same channel must be the same capacity. Seems like a good deal I guess. You can upgrade the processor and replace 1 of the memory modules to run dual channel.

That would run in single channel mode. As far as I know, the modules on the same channel must be the same capacity. Seems like a good deal I guess. You can upgrade the processor and replace 1 of the memory modules to run dual channel.

I was thinking the same thing...

Well, "dual channel" memory is pretty much a marketing gimmick anyway. Any two memory sticks with matching specifications will run in dual channel on the proper motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom