Some PC issues...hardware or software?

SASSoldier

Baseband Member
Lately I've been having some computer issues. While playing games (Battlefield 2142, World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2 and some Half Life 2) I've been experiencing a lot of freezing, lag, and crashing.

Mainly in HL, WoW and BF, the framerate will randomly drop, sometimes to the point where the game is unplayable.

In WoW and HL, I've been having lock-ups quite frequently, the game simply freezes, and sometimes it will fix itself after a while, but often I have to reboot. During the lock-up I can't exit to my desktop or anything, yet I can still hear my music, and I can still talk on skype if I'm using it.

Team Fortress has just straight up crashed to desktop a few times, after giving me some graphical issues (Such as wireframes everywhere, and missing textures).

Now, these issues had been contained to my games for the last week or so, and I kind of just pushed them aside as annoyances. But now, my computer is having slow-downs when I'm just trying to navigate my desktop or play music. And, when I was trying to get on the internet to post this message, Firefox refused to start, so I had to use Internet Explorer.

I have done several virus and other scans, such as: AVG, AVG Anti-Spyware, Spybot S&D, Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, and Ad-Aware. All of these came up clean, as did my HijackThis Log when scanned on www.hijackthis.de.

This led me to believe that it was a hardware issue. So, I cleaned up my hard drive, ran defrag etc. Then I opened up my computer, and cleaned all the dust and blew it all out with a can of air. In addition I installed an extra fan to cover all my bases. After that, I ran a Memory Test on startup, and that had no errors either.

So, now after all of that, here I am. I am completely clueless as to what the problem could be, and I hope that the minds here can help me out!

Sys specs are as follows:

ASUS M2N-MX
EVGA 7600GT
1GB Ram
Athlon 3500+
250 GB HDD.
About 2 years old or so, I think.

Could it be a CPU going bad? At first I thought it might have been the video card, but then other programs that don't require extensive graphics power went bad too. I think it's either the MOBO or CPU. Just my 2 cents though.

Well, I'd just wanted to add: It seems that the slowness outside of games has passed, maybe my computer was just being a little weird at that point because its all fine now. But, to make things worse, I started up World of Warcraft, and after about 5 or 10 minutes, the screen just went black, yet I could still hear the game behind the black screen. Again, I couldn't exit to desktop, and I was forced to reboot. This definitely seems like the video card.

So, should I just get a new video card then? I was looking at getting an 8800GT...would my motherboard support that?

If I take a look at my PSU, will it have a model number on it somewhere so I can check it out?

If I take a look at my PSU, will it have a model number on it somewhere so I can check it out?

yes, if you open up the case, it should have a sticker on it that looks like this...

17-371-004-05.jpg

Well I opened up my computer, and the problem is most definitely my Video Card. I removed the card to take a look at it and lo and behold, 3 of the transistors/capacitors (whatever they are, not an electronics expert) were...exploded might be the right word. The tops were split open and a burned brown substance was sticking out of the top, all dried on. So yeah...Now the problem I see is that my motherboard does not have a PCI-E slot, so I need a new board. And if I get a new board I'm guessing that means my CPU won't work, and that my DDR RAM will not work. So basically, I need a whole new computer :(

No no no. Listen if it is AGP, you can just get another card for it. Although you could do a little upgrade on your computer if you are up to it. I am doing the same thing with my dell e310. The only problem is I'm only upgrading to something decent, it's not even going to be top game, which means another upgrade will have to come in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom