Scam or what

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
I have been posting a listing on Craigslist for computer repair services. I have gotten some phony replies before, I know this because the messages were the same. Anyway, I got a message like 2 days ago from a guy the needs service on some laptops. So I send him a message and surprisingly he replies back and we make some arrangments. Anyway, he just emailed me stating the he has sent payment and I will be getting it early this morning. But heres the catch, he wants me to send $700 through Western Union to an address he provided. He states that after I wire the payment, a lady will send me the laptops overnight because he has to have them ready by monday. Now, first of all, he is sending me a check and I will not do a damn thing until I know the check it good. Second, why $700? I quoted him for $180. Third, why did he not just send the money for shipping to his contact instead of having me be the middle-man? Anyway, I feel really really suspicious about this, not only due to the circumstances, but also that he has not contacted me by phone nor did he provide me a # to reach him at. What do you guys think I should do? Just send the check back?

Well, I was looking into the Craiglist links and it turns out this is VERY MUCH A SCAM. Fits every profile. Anyway, should I just tear up the fake check and add his email as spam and forget about it or should I send him an email letting him know that I'm on to him and that I will not be doing business with him. Whats the best way to go about it?

Take a print out of the email and the check to the feds. Let them tell you what to do next.

They are a scam as well. Usually anything to do with Western Union on craigslist is going to be a scam. Also, why are they shipping to you when you saw them on craigslist... Craigslist is for local transactions, face to face. This just says scam all over it... I've been selling computers there for 2 years and I've seen a lot of different crap.

What you're doing is cashing a bad check then sending him money from it, then the bank tells you it's a bad check and you're responsible for paying it.

Obviously you don't want to do that.

I'm not really sure what to do about it though, doesn't Craigslist have a thing on that page telling you what to do for it?

Yeah, actually craigslist has some links for reporting things like this, so I'll go ahead and do that. This really pisses me off. Scammers are damn low-life scum. I want to do what I can do get this guy caught. Have any of you guys come across an obvious scam like this?

Back
Top Bottom