Dell Upgrade

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
One of my friends would like to run Windows Vista so has asked me to help him out with the upgrade. Here is the spec at the moment:

Dell Dimension 8300
1GB DDR 400MHz RAM
120GB HDD
nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.00GHz
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

We agreed that this is a bit of a scrape to run vista nicely, so we have decided on some upgrades:

Upgrade RAM to 2GB or even 3 or 4GB (most like 2) (Max mobo support is 4GB)
Upgrade the graphics to a fairly decent 256MB card (only really for aero - no games)

So with these upgrades, do you think Vista will run well. I reckon it should as this is similar to my last PC. Thanks for any advice.

It should run fine with the added ram. The processor isn't the greatest thing to run Vista on but it WILL run it. My old computer was almost the exact same spec and it runs Vista perfectly in my friend's room now.

I suggest 2GB of ram for now. It will suffice.

Chris

I was running Vista on my rig, almost the exact same but not a dell.
I had a simmilar gfx card (radeon 9800xt) and 1gb of pc3200 and it ran vista fine.
my p4 was a 2.4 ghz oc'd to 3.0 tho, but its still had ht

Thanks for the help. My old PC ran vista and games (I.E. NFS ProStreet) and that had a P4 HT 3GHz OC'd to 3.7GHz, 1.5GB RAM and a GeForce 7300GT, I just though I'd check before he spent his money on it! I even had Vista Ultimate running on a Celeron 2.59GHz (128KB Cache), 768MB RAM and a Radeon 9550, it was smooth until I tried to play some games on it, had dual monitors too!

I had actually played cs:s and portal while running vista on that rig. I had one 17 inch crt and one 22 inch apple crt

Back
Top Bottom