Direct HD movie downloads headed to PS3

Chalk another reason to pick up a PS3 for your media center. HD movie downloads via the PS3 are slated for this summer.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/06/26/3517692.htm

This would be a nice service to rent movies from. Given the rising gas prices it would also be a much cheaper alternative then going to rent one at a store. The current HD downloads off Xbox live they normally run 6-7GB a which isn't to large a download.

I just wish I had a fast enough connection and better bandwidth cap at home to make it feasible for me.

what will the isp see this as? i.e would it be downloaded like a p2p like bit torrent and will probably get capped or will it be just like downloading something off the interweb?

No. It's just an HTTP download probably.

It's by no means on demand. It'll take at least a few hours on standard broadband to download.

You'd think they'd find a way to stream the service rather than offer it as a download... 6-7GB is a lot to download for a rental, if thats what it is.
It'd have to be cheap anyhow to me, as a disc is much more real. I wouldn't be happy just downloading movies to keep on a hard drive, though it definetly beats having to worry about leaving discs around, scratching them... but the hard drive? hmm...

i dont think this should be called rental since you don't have to give the movie back if you already downloaded it...

Back
Top Bottom